+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Per Instruction Guide: Spouses not required to have a legal imm. status?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
I understand your fear of the border, but for most US citizen here, once they have applied for PR and their intention are clarified with CBSA, crossing is a fairly painless process... so you could ask for a stamp at the border.
An interview is only required if the VO has doubts about genuine your relationship is... so in your case, that's very unlikely. From what I understand, you had an employer willing to go the PNP route, and you had a job in the US. So it's pretty obvious that the only reason you're moving to Canada is to be with your partner... unless you have a complicated, lots of red flags, unusual case, the chances of you being requested to attend an interview are very slim. Also - if you are required to have an interview, you can go to the US, and come back - with a PR in process, it shouldn't make much more difficult. I think the border officers that declare " it can get sticky" is jsut trying to make sure that you abide by the rules - you do not work until legally allowed to, you don't "move" until you have your PR ( meaning do not show up at the border with a U-Haul just because you have gotten married and want to move your life) - you're a visitor, so you should act like one.

Good luck either way!
Sweden

sunnynoon

Jan 10, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is why they are so involved in my crossings I think- it's more exciting than the occasional tumbleweed crossing. I am just going to assume that if we apply right away- I will be ok either way

sunnynoon

Jan 10, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What I am saying is that I won't be able to cross and ask for a stamp- I already know that if they think I am staying at all they will deny me entry.

No stamp and up there is better than not up there