+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PEQ and Studying abroad

negarmh

Star Member
Jul 18, 2014
Hi there,
My sister is eligible to apply for PEQ - and she is planning to send her application out this week before they announce the new rules.
She is however not eligible for post graduate work permit; so she will probably need to leave Canada while her PEQ is being processed.

My question is :
  • Does Quebec still process her application - even if she leaves Canada in the next 6 months?
  • Can she study abroad (I know she cannot in Canada)- while waiting for her PEQ to get processed?
Thanks,

aeya

Feb 28, 2016
Montreal
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-10-2019
She can submit her request for the CSQ without any problem.
She can do all the things that she wants with her life, while she is waiting for the CSQ. She can't study inside Canada until she received the PR, or she can apply for another study permit to continue study inside Canada.

negarmh

Star Member
Jul 18, 2014
Thanks for your response @aeya .
Are you saying she CAN apply for another study permit inside Canada while waiting for PEQ? We were told that is not possible.

aeya

Feb 28, 2016
Montreal
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-10-2019
Until you are not a permanent resident and you want to study, you can apply for a study permit.

negarmh

Star Member
Jul 18, 2014
Until you are not a permanent resident and you want to study, you can apply for a study permit.
This contradicts with PEQ requirements. See this from https://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/students/stay-quebec/faq.html#peq8

8. Changing programs
Can I submit my application for permanent selection if I am thinking about enrolling in another study program after the one I am currently enrolled or the one I have just completed?
If you submit an application for permanent selection, it means that you plan to settle in Québec in order to hold a job. If you have decided to enrol in a study program, you cannot submit an application for permanent selection as a skilled worker.​
Will my CSQ be cancelled if I enrol in another study program in Québec or elsewhere in Canada before obtaining my permanent residence?
The Ministère will contact you to find out if you would like to pursue your application for permanent residence or you would like to go back to school. If you want to go back to school, your CSQ will be cancelled. If you wish to submit a new application later on, you must submit a new file and pay the fees for reviewing your application. If you decide to pursue your studies, you must submit a new application for temporary selection for studies.​

My question was if this also applies to studying outside of Canada.

akkun

Mar 27, 2020
I'm also interested, because I came to Canada with a new study permit. Still the Sydney office retains my application and is asking me to pay for the application fee. I posted another inquiry btw. In my case I'm already in Canada to study at BC grad school (in the hope of using BC PNP through post-graduate tech stream). If this thread is still active can anybody give me/us some advice or comments?