+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Peculiar Situation: Temporary visit on PR card

vikita

Aug 31, 2018
Hi All
We are in a peculiar situation. We did our soft landing in Aug-2022. The border officer didnt take our friend's address for PR card and also suggested we submit goods to follow list later when we move permanently. I read thru prior experience, so we exited the border and were once inside canada at my friend's place, we called and submitted address for PR card. Call center person accepted the PR card application. We came back to USA after a week and later on our friend sent our PR card to USA. Now we have our PR card. Now we plan to make another visit to canada in March-2023 on PR card, but this move is also not a permanent move and is a temporary move. I have below questions:
1. When we enter now, do we submit goods to follow list and goods accompanied list? Or was the list only accepted at the first time of entry? What should be our response? Border officer didnt accept the list earlier.
2. I will be driving in my own car, I own the car and have insurance and everything, but have US number plate, do I need to import it even when I am staying only for short duration? How that answer changes with the duration of stay for 1 month? for few months? for 1 Year?
3. Do I put the car in the goods to follow list?
4. If i am forced to import it to Canada, how do I come back to USA in the same car? again importing it to USA?
5. I plan to regularly travel between USA and Canada, what should be my response if I am asked about the duration of stay or why am I not importing the car?

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
Regarding your car, if you are not going to stay in Canada, you don.t need to import it and drive normally. If you are going to stay primarily in US, keep the US plates, else keep the Canadian plates.

Importing a car is a different process and your title will be stamped as exported by US CBP after a inspection which you dont want.

vikita

Aug 31, 2018
Regarding your car, if you are not going to stay in Canada, you don.t need to import it and drive normally. If you are going to stay primarily in US, keep the US plates, else keep the Canadian plates.

Importing a car is a different process and your title will be stamped as exported by US CBP after a inspection which you dont want.
Thanks, but I was reading thru some of the forum post where it was mentioned that border office dont allow(create issues) for you to enter without importing, is it only when you tell them that you are moving permanently?
Also do you suggest we add that same car in GTF list?

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
As you say its a Visit and since you have a valid PR status you have the right to enter canada as long as your PR residency obligation is met. The CBSA office should not question you about Importing the vehicle. You can tell them that you plan to go back. I did not have GTF list at the border but the moving company from seattle had me fill BSF186 which was submitted by the moving company and I had to go to CBSA office in Vancouver to get that released

Reactions: missedTheGCBus

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi All
We are in a peculiar situation. We did our soft landing in Aug-2022. The border officer didnt take our friend's address for PR card and also suggested we submit goods to follow list later when we move permanently. I read thru prior experience, so we exited the border and were once inside canada at my friend's place, we called and submitted address for PR card. Call center person accepted the PR card application. We came back to USA after a week and later on our friend sent our PR card to USA. Now we have our PR card. Now we plan to make another visit to canada in March-2023 on PR card, but this move is also not a permanent move and is a temporary move. I have below questions:
1. When we enter now, do we submit goods to follow list and goods accompanied list? Or was the list only accepted at the first time of entry? What should be our response? Border officer didnt accept the list earlier. -- You need not submit the GTF now but only when you move permanently. As one of the member said here, as you are a PR now you have every right to enter the country and exit when you want, but if you are staying more than 6months at a stretch you need to do the import formalities for the car and also need to change your license to Canadian.
2. I will be driving in my own car, I own the car and have insurance and everything, but have US number plate, do I need to import it even when I am staying only for short duration? How that answer changes with the duration of stay for 1 month? for few months? for 1 Year? - No issues but you would be given a warning first and second time not to drive the car without importing.
3. Do I put the car in the goods to follow list? - If it was purchased before your landing yes, you can put it on GTF.
4. If i am forced to import it to Canada, how do I come back to USA in the same car? again importing it to USA? - They wouldn't force you, they would insist you better import it. Also it needn't be you import all at once. You can import your car first and then your stuff later or Vice-versa, this is allowed.
5. I plan to regularly travel between USA and Canada, what should be my response if I am asked about the duration of stay or why am I not importing the car? - First 2 to 3 entries are fine, later you can do your trials and check what happens. You might be scrutinized on your actual purpose of travel while being on PR frequently without establishing your residency in Canada.