+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Peculiar situation car import canada

vikita

Aug 31, 2018
Hi all

I have few doubts in the process and would really appreciate if someone can help me with these complexities.
1. I am that not so rare PR card holder who till now havent been able to successfully submit goods to follow list on 2 entries(on my first visit "soft landing" they didnt accept it) i managed to call customer care and get the PR card, this time I entered on PR card but was not importing my car so no GTF lists)
2. I am in Canada, driving my US registered car and plan to export it from USA by end of this month
3. I read about "atleast 72 hours export notice" requirement. Can I meet the requirement by emailing the ITN and VIN, while the car is with me in Canada. 72 Hours window starts after I sent that note. Then after 2-3 days I drive to USA, I am on H1B so I can enter, and maybe after few hours I go to export counter and get it exported? Any obstacles?
4. I shouldnt pay duty or hst as a settler, what should be my argument if they say I didnt have this on my GTF list or there is no GTF list for me? I own this car from past 6 years?
5. If I do export from USA and custom at Canada side create problem and ask me to pay duty and all, how much would be that add-on cost for a 2013 hyundai elantra(market value of 4000) keeping aside the other RIV etc cost. lets call it the "hustle cost". my annual personal property tax considers it as $2400, do I take that receipt to show true car value?
6. Once I import it, do I need to do the inspection and registration within same month, within 45 days, within 6 months? Is there an option to extend this grace period?
7. What is the status of my car after I import it but dont register it in Ontario? Can I still drive it with the US number plate for the period in 6th question i.e. till i go for inspection and register it?
8. I will exchange my DL from US with G license in Canada in 3 months, I can for sure drive the car on my US license but can I still drive this same car after I get G license upto the grace period in 6th question?

vikita

Aug 31, 2018
Summarizing questions:
A. I read about "atleast 72 hours export notice" requirement. Can I meet the requirement by emailing the ITN and VIN, while the car is with me in Canada?

B. My car is US made, so there will not be any duty, what would be HST and all? Will keeping my annual personal property tax receipt helps that(which considers it as $2400)?

C. Once I import it and get Form 1 from border, what is usually the grace period between different next steps, and is there a possibility to extend? Step 1: RIV payment. Step2: RIV inspection. Stpe3. Buy Insurance Step4. Service Ontario for retag.

D. I will exchange my DL from US with G license, considering I will fit that exchange somewhere between those steps, can I still drive this same car before and after I get G license till I do registration?

Please help.

zen2023

Mar 17, 2023
Hey,

For A> You need the car to be physically present in the US for the last 72 hours. My advice is to go to a hotel / friends place for a few days before you re-import your car.

For B> I did not pay any HST, PST or anything as I had it on the GTF list and my car was US made too.

For C> You generally have 30-45 days to get your Canadian plates and insurance and complete the inspection. I would recommend doing inspection ASAP as you may have to make some changes to your car to pass inspection and that can take time.

For D> Yes, I drove my car with US plates after importing until I got my Canadian plates.

Reactions: lr108