+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PCC from Canada, fingerprints

BayernBua

Dec 13, 2017
Hello,

I'm new here. I see that there are several threads touching on this but to be honest I'm just becoming more confused reading them. Background: I'm German, my Canadian wife is sponsoring me. We moved to Canada this summer (I'm on a study permit) and applied me for sponsorship from within Canada in October.

Yesterday we received the email to link the application to an online account, and quickly thereafter the request for Schedule As and PCCs. The part about PCCs reads
...a police certificate for:
1) The country where you currently live, if you have lived there for six months or more; and
2) The country where you have spent most of your adult life since the age of 18.
You must also provide this for every family member...
For my wife, both (1) and (2) mean Canada. I have lived in Canada for six months before (under IEC program) but my current stay has been less than six months so far. Nonetheless, this means that I need a PCC from Canada, right? (2) means Germany for me.

In short, wife needs RCMP PCC and I need both German and RCMP PCC if I understand correctly. I obtained the German PCC already before we moved and I submitted it (plus translation) with my applicaton. So only the Canadian ones left to get. Now in some threads it sounds to me like it's very unusual for CIC to request Canadian PCCs. But they already have mine from Germany, so the request can only mean we have to submit Canadian PCCs, right? I'm also confused about whether or not fingerprint-based or name-based PCCs are what we need here. If I follow the link provided it sounds like at least for non-citizens, fingerprint-based is mandatory. Am I interpreting this right? Does it mean my wife has to have her fingerprints taken, too?

Sorry for the many questions scattered around my post. As with a lot of information in this whole process, it again seems difficult to get clear answers from the official sources.

Thank you for any help!

Erin Lynsay

Dec 1, 2017
Vancouver
Your wife does not need any police report at all. It is only referring to family members that are applicants (you and your kids). The sponsor (your wife) does not need to provide a police certificate.

You need to provide a police certificate from Germany only. They will do their own background check for you for Canada and you do not need to submit this.

Your police certificate should be dated after the last day you left Germany.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=037&top=4

Last edited:

BayernBua

Dec 13, 2017
Thank you for the quick reply! Curious to read the sources! :)

I guess this is both good and bad news. I'm worried I won't be able to get a new German PCC before the deadline. The one I have is dated around 5 weeks before our move.

Erin Lynsay

Dec 1, 2017
Vancouver
Thank you for the quick reply! Curious to read the sources! :)

I guess this is both good and bad news. I'm worried I won't be able to get a new German PCC before the deadline. The one I have is dated around 5 weeks before our move.
Sorry, it turns out that only we had to get another one :)

• are currently living there, or received the police certificate before leaving, the police certificate must be issued within six months before you apply.
Yours may still be valid.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/about.html

Reactions: canadaVisa10

BayernBua

Dec 13, 2017
Oh thank you! That's such a huge relieve!! Why is none of this information in one place? It's so hard to keep track of all of these bits and piece of information scattered around the official websites :(

Erin Lynsay

Dec 1, 2017
Vancouver
Oh thank you! That's such a huge relieve!! Why is none of this information in one place? It's so hard to keep track of all of these bits and piece of information scattered around the official websites :(
Great to hear your situation is simpler then.

I agree, one must be a mini-detective, hire a lawyer, or ask people on here :D

By the way, feel free to check out self-reported timelines from the people on the forum:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Yn3BFzI4q4xAy4EW3pG4CgQz9o3EzF5b18_tcSJwBhA/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=1524155556

BayernBua

Dec 13, 2017
Thanks, I'll make sure to add my info! How come yours doesn't say AOR received if you've already been asked to provide PCC? Or is this a different application?

BayernBua

Dec 13, 2017
Going back to the original topic, I do wonder why PCCs where requested then? Since I already submitted my German police check with the application. Is this common?

Erin Lynsay

Dec 1, 2017
Vancouver
Thanks, I'll make sure to add my info! How come yours doesn't say AOR received if you've already been asked to provide PCC? Or is this a different application?
I have not received the AOR and I haven't been asked for the police certificates yet.

The instruction guide states to prepare the police certificates ahead of time, so that's when I did comprehensive research on the topic.

The instruction guide also says to only submit the police certificates once you are asked for them. Maybe them asking you again online is just a part of standard procedures? I think you should definitely submit the German one again.

Maybe someone else can shed more light on this.

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
23-02-2017 (AOR 1); 26-05-2017 (AOR2)
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
I have not received the AOR and I haven't been asked for the police certificates yet.

The instruction guide states to prepare the police certificates ahead of time, so that's when I did comprehensive research on the topic.

The instruction guide also says to only submit the police certificates once you are asked for them. Maybe them asking you again online is just a part of standard procedures? I think you should definitely submit the German one again.

Maybe someone else can shed more light on this.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Your wife does not need any police report at all. It is only referring to family members that are applicants (you and your kids). The sponsor (your wife) does not need to provide a police certificate.

You need to provide a police certificate from Germany only. They will do their own background check for you for Canada and you do not need to submit this.

Your police certificate should be dated after the last day you left Germany.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=037&top=4
FYI, they do not always do their own Canadian checks.

Sometimes they request RCMP checks from Canada.

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
Hello

I believe that you do need a fingerprint based RCMP report (not name based). Any PA who has lived in Canada for 6 months consecutively even in the past will have to submit one. If not you risk experiencing having delays in processing of your app as your VO may not send out another email to request the certificate.

You can just leave your German pcc for now. They usually are good for a year from date of issue for immigration purposes.

My app was likely delayed in processing because they forgot to send out email for the rcmp report. We were given 120 days to submit report once we got the email (I asked VO if they wanted it after I saw it requested in my GCMS notes ,,,, my spouse was in Canada for 1 year for working holiday visa). Some members have said they wait until
120 days is up before looking at report, in case this is true submit it now ASAP. Your email you received seems like a request for the rcmp document so send it in with the rest of your documents once you obtain it.

majesty

Feb 10, 2017
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
25-01-2017
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
13/03/2017
Med's Done....
30-07-2016 (Passed)
FYI, they do not always do their own Canadian checks.

Sometimes they request RCMP checks from Canada.
In my app they also did their own internal checks ... I can see that clearly in the 3 sets of GCMS notes I ordered. They also wanted the RCMP report for fingerprints too.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
In my app they also did their own internal checks ... I can see that clearly in the 3 sets of GCMS notes I ordered. They also wanted the RCMP report for fingerprints too.
Yes of course they do the checks on their side, I don't mean they don't do any...I mean that with respect for police checks, and how they request RCMP and prints if required.

Reactions: majesty

geografa

Apr 30, 2017
Hello

I believe that you do need a fingerprint based RCMP report (not name based). Any PA who has lived in Canada for 6 months consecutively even in the past will have to submit one. If not you risk experiencing having delays in processing of your app as your VO may not send out another email to request the certificate.

You can just leave your German pcc for now. They usually are good for a year from date of issue for immigration purposes.

My app was likely delayed in processing because they forgot to send out email for the rcmp report. We were given 120 days to submit report once we got the email (I asked VO if they wanted it after I saw it requested in my GCMS notes ,,,, my spouse was in Canada for 1 year for working holiday visa). Some members have said they wait until
120 days is up before looking at report, in case this is true submit it now ASAP. Your email you received seems like a request for the rcmp document so send it in with the rest of your documents once you obtain it.
Hey Majesty-
I know you mentioned to me earlier that it might be wise to get the RCMP fingerprints ready just in case to avoid delays. I'm wondering, if you could do it again; when would you have submitted the fingerprints (I know you got delayed because the request never came).
We are September 1 applicants and wondering if I should get my partner (PA) in Argentina to start getting his now? He was here on a visitor's visa for a year and a bit.
I'm not sure of cost or how long RCMP prints take to get/deliver so it would be helpful to have a better idea of this.
Thank you!!