+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PCC for Citizenship

krs

Star Member
May 8, 2014
Hi,

I went through the cic site but could not find anything about police verification but have heard from people applying for it. I have got my PR few years back and I will soon be applying for citizenship. I wanted to know if PCC or any police clearance from India is needed for Indian passport holders while applying for PR.

If it is needed, can I use the same PCC that I used for my PR? I have not visited my home country since I applied for PR.

Thanks in advance,
KRS

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you haven't been back to India at all then no. You only need to provide a police certificate if you have been present in a country for 183 or more days.

Reactions: Rahul_Ram1008

Nader.

Apr 16, 2017
krs said:
Hi,

I went through the cic site but could not find anything about police verification but have heard from people applying for it. I have got my PR few years back and I will soon be applying for citizenship. I wanted to know if PCC or any police clearance from India is needed for Indian passport holders while applying for PR.

If it is needed, can I use the same PCC that I used for my PR? I have not visited my home country since I applied for PR.

Thanks in advance,
KRS
See step 9

Application for Canadian citizenship under subsection 5(1) – Adults 18 years of age and older (CIT 0002)

9. Police certificate(s) (as required)

You are required to provide a police certificate for each country, other than Canada, where you were present for a total of 183 days or more during the four (4) years immediately before the date of your application.

Consult How to get a police certificate (police check) for specific and up-to-date information on how to obtain police certificates from any country.

Note: If you are unable to obtain a police certificate from any country, provide an explanation in the space provided in question 6 M on the application form.

Format: Original.

NewPRReciever

Jun 11, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Thanks in advance,
KRS
As the other members have already specified, you only need PCC's for all countries where your residency count was 183 days or more, so I would suggest you make sure that all your dates are correct so you do not ave to apply for a doc that you do not need.

Secondly, you cannot use the old PCC, for the simple reason being the PCC's are valid mostly between 6 months and 1 year. So that would be an expired document submission, so I would not advise doing that.

Finally, Since this is a Indian PCC, that you are talking about, I would suggest, talking to CIC just in case to get a mental satisfaction. I am pretty sure they would say the same as the above members, but its just a added satisfaction.

please close the thread if you found your answers.

paradoxunlimited

Star Member
Feb 20, 2018
anybody here applied withhout PCC after 3 years of eligiblity and get rejected? any such case where IRCC get back asking PCC or returned the application as incomplete?

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
anybody here applied withhout PCC after 3 years of eligiblity and get rejected? any such case where IRCC get back asking PCC or returned the application as incomplete?
IRCC wants you to provide a PCC for your citizenship application. The PCC has to have been issued after your most recent stay in the country. If you do not then you may be asked to provide one later, which will cause a delay to your application. If you do not provide it at that time your application will be denied.

(The PCC you used for your PR application was issued before you left your home country, so is not considered valid anymore.)

As I mentioned (yesterday) in another thread asking this exact same question: you can obviously try not requesting a PCC. There is a chance IRCC may not notice. But there is also a chance they do notice, and your application now ends up being delayed as you scramble to get a current PCC. And yes, people have run into this, and were told at their interview they needed to provide a PCC (and by default they're given 30 days to provide it).

And, no, usually IRCC does not return applications for the lack of a PCC. I expect it can happen, but that particular check seems to be something that is done later in the process, after the initial AOR, so the application won't be returned. It won't be considered complete, though, so will not proceed until the PCC has been provided.

paradoxunlimited

Star Member
Feb 20, 2018
IRCC wants you to provide a PCC for your citizenship application. The PCC has to have been issued after your most recent stay in the country. If you do not then you may be asked to provide one later, which will cause a delay to your application. If you do not provide it at that time your application will be denied.

(The PCC you used for your PR application was issued before you left your home country, so is not considered valid anymore.)

As I mentioned (yesterday) in another thread asking this exact same question: you can obviously try not requesting a PCC. There is a chance IRCC may not notice. But there is also a chance they do notice, and your application now ends up being delayed as you scramble to get a current PCC. And yes, people have run into this, and were told at their interview they needed to provide a PCC (and by default they're given 30 days to provide it).

And, no, usually IRCC does not return applications for the lack of a PCC. I expect it can happen, but that particular check seems to be something that is done later in the process, after the initial AOR, so the application won't be returned. It won't be considered complete, though, so will not proceed until the PCC has been provided.
PCC has to be issued against my most recent stay at that country. which in my case is my home country, I entered Canada on Janury 2015. So seems like I need to provide PCC for my stay from June 2014-Jan 2015 as per your reply. my country only provide PCC based on current facts, I am not staying there so the date of PCC issuance will be March 2018 and they dont mention the date against which period it has been issued.. this entire PCC stuffs seems very confusing.. I may have to apply when I complete 3 year 6 months to avoid this issue i guess...

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
PCC has to be issued against my most recent stay at that country. which in my case is my home country, I entered Canada on Janury 2015. So seems like I need to provide PCC for my stay from June 2014-Jan 2015 as per your reply. my country only provide PCC based on current facts, I am not staying there so the date of PCC issuance will be March 2018 and they dont mention the date against which period it has been issued.. this entire PCC stuffs seems very confusing.. I may have to apply when I complete 3 year 6 months to avoid this issue i guess...
PCC is not issued against "a period" of time, it is issued at a point in time.
That point in time needs to be, for this use, after your most recent stay.

Your most recent stay (assuming you have not visited and will not go visit before you apply for citizenship) ended in January 2015, so any PCC that is dated on or after January 2015 will be accepted.

If you are not going to visit there before you apply for citizenship then you can request a PCC now.
If you are going to visit before you apply for citizenship then you should request the PCC at the end of your trip (or after your trip).

paradoxunlimited

Star Member
Feb 20, 2018
Good explanation. Thanks a lot.. How about applying Citizenship straight after 3 year 6 months where you satisfied the clasue of not staying more than 183 days in last 4 years.. Consider I have never visited any country, not even the home country... my date of entry as PR was Jan 15, applications sign should be July 2018. What is your expert opinion on this as I am crossing the clause of 183 days stay in any country... Am I still going to fall into the requirement of PCC? Why am I asking all these is I am unable to acuire any PCC from home country as my dad sold our permanent home and they all live in the USA with my sister.. Not sure how I am gonna collect one...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Good explanation. Thanks a lot.. How about applying Citizenship straight after 3 year 6 months where you satisfied the clasue of not staying more than 183 days in last 4 years.. Consider I have never visited any country, not even the home country... my date of entry as PR was Jan 15, applications sign should be July 2018. What is your expert opinion on this as I am crossing the clause of 183 days stay in any country... Am I still going to fall into the requirement of PCC? Why am I asking all these is I am unable to acuire any PCC from home country as my dad sold our permanent home and they all live in the USA with my sister.. Not sure how I am gonna collect one...
I am NO expert. (See my signature for further elaboration.)

If it is impossible or even practically extremely difficult to obtain a police certificate, the applicant who checks "yes" to item 10.b (yes, was in a country for 183 or more days during the preceding four years) can explain why the certificate cannot be obtained, and can do this as an alternative to providing a certificate. Of course, whether that reason, that explanation, will suffice depends on how valid it is. The IRCC website has information about how to obtain a police certificate from most countries and of course IRCC is otherwise well familiar with what it is required to obtain a police certificate from most countries in the world.

Stating a reason for why a police certificate could not be obtained should pass the completeness check. Again, beyond that whether IRCC accepts the explanation will depend on how valid it is, among other circumstances. (There is a fair chance, for example, that if the applicant has not returned to that country since before becoming a PR, IRCC will be liberal in accepting an explanation for why one was not provided.)

If, for example, there is no way to obtain a police certificate from a country without traveling to that country, that should suffice. It would be unreasonable for IRCC to require citizenship applicants to travel abroad in order to obtain information to be submitted with the application. (Again, however, IRCC is familiar with what is involved in obtaining police certificates from almost all countries in the world, and will of course take that into account when assessing an applicant's excuse for not providing one.)

Of course that does not mean this circumstance, and not providing a certificate, will have NO effect in other ways. IRCC could, for example, make an overseas referral to investigate whether the applicant has any criminality or security issues, and that could significantly delay the application process.

Waiting long enough that total time in a country does not add up to 183 or more days within the preceding four years:

Sure, if the applicant can truthfully check "no" in response to item 10.b, there is no requirement to include a police certificate from another country WITH the APPLICATION. So the prospective applicant can wait and not apply until after enough time has passed the applicant can truthfully check "no" in response to item 10.b. For many this is probably a good idea, particularly if they do not need to wait too much longer and this adds a good buffer to their presence in the meantime.

Of course the applicant still must have NO criminal convictions (during the prior four years) in any other country. Of course IRCC can conduct inquiries or investigations to determine if an applicant has any criminal convictions in another country. AND of course IRCC can make an individual request for a police certificate later in the process (such a request must be reasonable, but such a request is reasonable if the applicant has spent any significant amount of time in the other country, even if way less than 183 days, or if there reason to suspect a potential criminal case in the other country).

The latter observation is NOT intended to suggest there is much likelihood the applicant will be asked to submit a police certificate if the total time in the other country, during the relevant four years, was less than 183 days. It is to highlight IRCC can nonetheless request a police certificate, that there is no guarantee IRCC will not.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how.html has the instructions on how to get a police certificate. Depending on your country of origin the instructions may say that you do not need to acquire one if you are not resident (as some countries will not issue those to former residents) or how to acquire it while abroad.

The other option is to wait until you have been in Canada long enough (and obviously not visiting any place for 183 days or more in the mean time) that you do not need to provide a PCC. If that is what you aim to do then make sure you calculate the number of days correctly yourself (don't rely on people on this forum. We are not immigration consultants). I would still recommend ensuring sufficient margin (i.e. wait a few weeks once you've reached the point where only 182 days are within the last four years, don't apply right at that date).

That said, IRCC can still ask you for a PCC -- they will not automatically do so when you have spent less than 183 days in a country, but it is still a possibility. So have a look at the information above, just so you know what to do in the (very unlikely) chance they ask for a PCC. (And if it turns out to be easy to acquire one from within Canada then you may be able to apply for citizenship sooner.)

(Also be aware that if you do have been charged with the equivalent of an indictable offence or a crime abroad you are not eligible to apply for citizenship. If that is your case -- I'm not saying it is, but am clarifying for anyone who reads this -- and you do not declare it, you may be stripped of your Canadian citizenship and be prosecuted for the misrepresentation. You will then also become ineligible for Canadian citizenship, for a period of at least 10 years.)

Reactions: paradoxunlimited

MARCHIE

Jan 8, 2011
Vancouver ....Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC LONDON UK-----Transferred to PVO 7Feb 2013
NOC Code......
3152 ( Registered Nurse )
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26 May 2010
Doc's Request.
18 October 2010
Nomination.....
CHC London 15 Jan 2011...
AOR Received.
1st AOR 18 Oct 2010 / 2nd AOR 16 June 2011..
IELTS Request
All Done..
File Transfer...
PARIS OFFICE
Med's Request
13 March 2013
Med's Done....
10 April 2013
Interview........
Medicals Results Received 15 Aug 2013...
Passport Req..
29 Sep 2013 Submitted @ Abu Dhabi U.A.E
VISA ISSUED...
01 Oct 2013
LANDED..........
Celebrated White Christmas in Vancouver..2013.
i have recently acquired the PCC from Qatar with the help of an agency DO I NEED TO GET MY pcc from Qatar attested by Ministry of Foreign affairs. I don't see that as an required criteria mentioned on the CIC website....KINDLY ADVISE