+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paying Taxes after short landing

reslanw

Jun 24, 2015
Hello

So I did my short landing a couple of weeks ago and have now left Canada back to continue my work contract for another year.
hopefully I will be moving for good around April/May 2017.
Am I liable to pay taxes for the income I earn now ? If yes then how do I do this ?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
reslanw said:
Hello

So I did my short landing a couple of weeks ago and have now left Canada back to continue my work contract for another year.
hopefully I will be moving for good around April/May 2017.
Am I liable to pay taxes for the income I earn now ? If yes then how do I do this ?

Thanks
No, you don't have to file taxes until you settle in Canada.

reslanw

Jun 24, 2015
@Leon

Should I somehow inform Canada Revenue Agency that I am not settled in Canada yet ?
If not, then how do they determine my actual status ?
Keep in mind that border control does not stamp your passport when you exit Canada, so there is no record of leaving the country until you come back again

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
reslanw said:
@Leon

Should I somehow inform Canada Revenue Agency that I am not settled in Canada yet ?
Keep in mind that border control does not stamp your passport when you exit Canada, so there is no record of leaving the country until you come back again
no you are neither settled in Canada nor working in Canada so CRA not interested

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
reslanw said:
@Leon

No, you don't need to talk to CRA. CRA has no record of you because you have not applied for anything from them (CCTB etc.), you haven't received a paycheck in Canada and you haven't filed. Hence you are not settled. Once you settle and start to get paychecks or apply for benefits you are eligible for, you will be expected to file taxes. If you then leave again for a longer time, you still have to continue filing taxes even if you are not making any money in Canada. If you cut your residency ties with Canada to the point that you are no longer living or working in Canada and you do not have assets in Canada, you can request from CRA that they consider you non-resident for tax purposes and this will relieve you of your obligation to continue to file taxes.