+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Paying Canadian Taxes and maintaining PR status

PWMJ2019

Jul 1, 2019
Hi,

I have 2 questions I need answering (sorry if there are too many).

1) I obtained my PR in July 2019 and then moved to work abroad with my Canadian partner. It says on the requirements for maintaining my PR status that I need to be in Canada for 2 years. However, it does also say that if I am with a Canadian spouse with either PR status or a citizen, that it MAY count as time spent in Canada. Obviously, MAY is not as certain as WILL do. I lived and worked with my partner abroad for a year and a half, so WILL that count as time spent in Canada or MAY it count as time spent in Canada? Are there particular circumstances that would make a successful case for renewal more certain?

2) I have filed tax returns, but I did not earn money in Canada and so do not pay tax in Canada. This, apparently is ok. But in the event of living and working abroad again, I will file a tax return but say on the return that I did not earn any money in Canada. Will the fact I have no paid taxes in Canada, but have filed tax returns affect my PR renewal?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Normally time abroad with a Canadian spouse counts towards your RO but you never spent anytime in Canada so it shouldn't count. Whether it will or won't is another story. Your PR approval was contingent on your wife showing that you would relocate to Canada which you didn't do either.

PWMJ2019

Jul 1, 2019
I spent 7 months in Canada completing a degree after I gained my PR. Then I moved abroad with my partner to work in a Canadian International school for a year and a half before moving back here at the end of June and will be staying until Christmas. Would this be sufficient?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I spent 7 months in Canada completing a degree after I gained my PR. Then I moved abroad with my partner to work in a Canadian International school for a year and a half before moving back here at the end of June and will be staying until Christmas. Would this be sufficient?
I am confused. How did you get your PR in July 2019 but spent 7 months in Canada completing a degree after you got your PR. Could you go through your timeline again.

PWMJ2019

Jul 1, 2019
Sure, no problem.

I moved to Canada in August 2016 to start a degree that lasted a year and a half. In the summer (July 2016) of the first degree, I got my PR. After my PR I had another half year to complete my degree and an additional month and a bit in Canada before moving and working abroad with my spouse in (March 2017). Then, after a year and half working abroad, we moved back and will be staying until December 2019 at least.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sure, no problem.

I moved to Canada in August 2016 to start a degree that lasted a year and a half. In the summer (July 2016) of the first degree, I got my PR. After my PR I had another half year to complete my degree and an additional month and a bit in Canada before moving and working abroad with my spouse in (March 2017). Then, after a year and half working abroad, we moved back and will be staying until December 2019 at least.
So did you get PR in 2019 or 2016?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes the time in the UK with your wife should count. There is no need to file Canadian taxes if you are not a resident for tax purposes that year. You do have to declare your international income when filing your Canadian taxes although it’s not taxable income.