+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pay stubs, work contracts and additional job

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I've had three paid, continuous jobs, making up three years of foreign work experience (2+1) within my main NOC and one in another NOC. I have reference letters from all three employers in the required format, but no longer have physical pay stubs or contract paperwork. I do have nine digital payslips issued by the third employer (I was a temporary contractor with them for 3 months and didn't get any payslips for this period, but I did invoice them and got paid).

1. Can an application be rejected if I don't provide pay stubs and work contracts as additional evidence to reference letters (which meet the necessary requirements)?

2. Would it help to provide bank statements covering the full four year period, showing monthly salary deposits that match up to what is stated on the reference letters (it wouldn't match up exactly due to tax but that can be calculated and shown)? This may be a problem as one of the payments for my work as a temporary contractor was delayed by a few months (there was a disagreement with the company regarding the amount owed and I settled for less- the actual salary earned is correctly stated on my reference letter) and I may only have digital bank statements for some of the period (looks exactly as the paper original but with a watermark across the page saying "ONLINE".

3. Also is it worth submitting the reference letter for the one year that is in a different NOC- would it be harmless to demonstrate my additional experience or would I be unnecessarily asking for trouble?

vijayrrk

Jan 31, 2015
Ottawa,ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2015
AOR Received.
16-11-2015
Med's Done....
26-11-2015
Passport Req..
03-06-2016
johnjkjk said:
I've had three paid, continuous jobs, making up three years of foreign work experience (2+1) within my main NOC and one in another NOC. I have reference letters from all three employers in the required format, but no longer have physical pay stubs or contract paperwork. I do have nine digital payslips issued by the third employer (I was a temporary contractor with them for 3 months and didn't get any payslips for this period, but I did invoice them and got paid).

1. Can an application be rejected if I don't provide pay stubs and work contracts as additional evidence to reference letters (which meet the necessary requirements)?

Your application will not be rejected unless you did not submit required documents supporting your job's. 80% of the time reference letter, T4 and Notice of Assesment are good enough to process your application.

2. Would it help to provide bank statements covering the full four year period, showing monthly salary deposits that match up to what is stated on the reference letters (it wouldn't match up exactly due to tax but that can be calculated and shown)? This may be a problem as one of the payments for my work as a temporary contractor was delayed by a few months (there was a disagreement with the company regarding the amount owed and I settled for less- the actual salary earned is correctly stated on my reference letter) and I may only have digital bank statements for some of the period (looks exactly as the paper original but with a watermark across the page saying "ONLINE".

You don't need 4 years bank statements. T4 and Notice of Assessments are good enough for the previous years. But for your current year you can print your online bank statements and highlight the payment which you got from the employer with an explanation letter and reference letter from the employer. Make sure the name on the statement and the Employer name on the reference letter matches.

3. Also is it worth submitting the reference letter for the one year that is in a different NOC- would it be harmless to demonstrate my additional experience or would I be unnecessarily asking for trouble?

If that experience falls under NOC O or A or B I would definitely recommend adding it to your profile as it will increase your score.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
johnjkjk said:

If there is insufficient documentation, it could be refused. Paystubs and contracts are not mandatory (not in the same sense as the Letter of Employment) but are examples of documentation. Read the section, Proof of Work Experience here -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

If you have something that is the equivalent of a T4 for the country in which you were working, that would be better than pay stubs, and better than bank statements. If there is a variance between the letter and the documentation, then a letter of explanation is a good idea.

Assuming it is a skilled NOC, a 3rd year of foreign work experience will give you more points (even if a different NOC). It is only "asking for trouble" if you cannot provide sufficient documentation, and later lose the points.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
jes_ON said:

If there is insufficient documentation, it could be refused. Paystubs and contracts are not mandatory (not in the same sense as the Letter of Employment) but are examples of documentation. Read the section, Proof of Work Experience here -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp

The link you offered above only asks for reference letters and that "If the work experience is in Canada, proof may include copies of T4 tax information slips and notices of assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency". My work experience is in the UK. Work contracts and pay slips are not mandatory but does this mean that my application could still be refused even though my reference letters meet requirements, or could this only be a problem if for what ever reason they do not feel satisfied by the reference letters? I'm not in the UK any more and would be difficult to return on a fishing expedition to try and look for my old paperwork in my archives there.

If you have something that is the equivalent of a T4 for the country in which you were working, that would be better than pay stubs, and better than bank statements. If there is a variance between the letter and the documentation, then a letter of explanation is a good idea.

I suppose the UK equivalent of a T4 is a P60, which is a summary of taxes paid at the end of the tax year, issued by an employer for tax purposes. Unfortunately I have misplaced my paper documentation including pay slips and the P60 for the two years I was with employer A. I have 9 digital (PDF) payslips for the latter 9 months of work with employer B and I received no tax statement for that year as my employment ended 4 days before the end of the tax year and I was under no obligation to file taxes manually (automatically through payroll only) but I do have a digital (PDF) copy of my P45 (leaving slip with tax summation till leaving date). The issue here is that I was employed till the 31st of March, and the reference letter states this but on close examination my P45 has a last date of 28 March, presumably because the payday is the 28th of each month. This discrepancy of 3 days could ruin my three years of continuous experience so I would prefer not to provide this document- it isn't a tax statement anyway and it doesn't include the 3 months I was contracting whilst not on payroll.

So I only have some payslips and bank statements that can help back up my reference letters. Should I show bank statements (perhaps not every month out of the three years, but say 3 per year) to show monthly salary deposits into my account? I would need to do this for my three months as a contractor. There is the concern that the final payment was delayed by a few months so it doesn't match up to the month I was owed- I would have to write a letter of explanation for this.

Assuming it is a skilled NOC, a 3rd year of foreign work experience will give you more points (even if a different NOC). It is only "asking for trouble" if you cannot provide sufficient documentation, and later lose the points.

I already have 3 years of foreign experience relating to my NOC (2133- electronic engineers), the fourth year is in another NOC (0014, senior manager- but not in a technical field), so including it will not increase my points. I am only concerned if they decide that the NOC selected (0014) isn't correct. And doesn't the continuous experience need to be in a single occupation- how can I combine two different NOCs?

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
vijayrrk said:

Your application will not be rejected unless you did not submit required documents supporting your job's. 80% of the time reference letter, T4 and Notice of Assesment are good enough to process your application.

T4 is only for Canadian experience. As the only required documents are reference letters (for foreign work experience), under what circumstances are payslips and work contracts required to "support" this? What falls short during the 20% of the time you refer to- some kind of problem or doubt with the reference letter?

You don't need 4 years bank statements. T4 and Notice of Assessments are good enough for the previous years. But for your current year you can print your online bank statements and highlight the payment which you got from the employer with an explanation letter and reference letter from the employer. Make sure the name on the statement and the Employer name on the reference letter matches.

T4 and proof of work authorisation is only needed for Canadian experience, mine is in the UK, so work contracts and pay stubs are listed in form IMM5612E (FSW Document Checklist) as "additional supporting documents may include" and tax information is not asked for at all. The question boils down to the employment with company A (2 years) for which I have misplaced the original paper payslips (and tax statement). For employer B (1 year), I have 9 digital statements (paper was never issued) for the 9 latter months I was on payroll and worked the 3 initial months as a contractor- this is stated in the reference letter along with remuneration.

I can provide bank statements to cover this 3 month period (although the actual payments for the 3 month period were not like payday deposits, they were 3 gross (untaxed) payments and 1 gross (untaxed) payment a few months later (whilst I was on payroll and receiving a tax-deducted salary), the four payments totalling the amount mentioned on the reference letter. In absence of payslips for employer A, would it be beneficial to show bank statements for the two year period I was with Company A, or perhaps bank statements for the whole 3-4 year period? The alternative is that I fly to London if I receive an ITA and dig up payslips from my archives there- unfortunately stored in the loft of a family member from whom I am estranged.

If that experience falls under NOC O or A or B I would definitely recommend adding it to your profile as it will increase your score.

I already have 3 years of foreign experience relating to my NOC (2133- electronic engineers), the fourth year is in another NOC (0014, senior manager- skilled but in another occupation entirely), so including it will not increase my points. I am only concerned if they decide that the NOC selected (0014) isn't correct for whatever reason that they may be unhappy. On the positive side this block of four years is continuous, so in case a small period of my primary NOC experience is not considered valid for whatever reason, this may help- but my understanding is that you only get points if the experience is in the same occupation?

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
I have now requested Digital (PDF) copies of my old payslips and tax statements from my previous employers, will this be acceptable?

Assuming that I am able to get these pay slips and tax statements, how do I account for the 3 months that I was employed as a temporary consultant (not on payroll, paid gross without a payslip)? My reference letter clearly specifies that I was a "temporary consultant" for this three month period with the total amount remunerated. Would this 3 month period come under the category of "self employment"? If so, document guidance states that "self employed individuals must provide documentation from 3rd party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details", so will my employment reference letter suffice for this? Or does just it mean that I was a temporary employee without a contract for 3 months and with a contractual salary for 9 months, so I just need to explain this in a letter and show bank statements for the 3 month period that I wasn't issued with payslips and received gross (pre-tax) income directly in my bank account?

Regarding tax, I do not have a tax statement for the last year of employment as it ended before the new tax year and even if I did it would only be a payroll statement and wouldn't include the amount earned gross as a consultant. I cannot account for tax paid on the work as a consultant as I had no tax obligation to file a return for this income. Or alternatively, as only Canadian work experience needs to have tax information, should I just avoid tax altogether and show payslips (if I can get them) and bank statements showing the money paid in as a consultant and attach a letter explaining that for the three months as a temporary consultant, I received gross payments directly to my bank account?

vijayrrk

Jan 31, 2015
Ottawa,ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2015
AOR Received.
16-11-2015
Med's Done....
26-11-2015
Passport Req..
03-06-2016
I totally misinterpreted you as a Canadian worker.

In your case

1) Reference Letters are more than enough. 20% of the time I was referring to the Companies which have a bad reputation with CIC or Black Listed companies. In your case since you worked for companies in UK there should't be any problem with your application

2) In that case include one or two bank statements for each employment history(as an additional proof that you worked). However, this is an optional document.

3) You get points if your experience are in different NOC's( O, A,B only). But when filling your application it will ask you what is your primary occupation NOC. Where you have to make a choice between NOC's 2133 or 0014. You must have at-least 1 year experience in your primary NOC.

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
vijayrrk said:
I totally misinterpreted you as a Canadian worker.

In your case

1) Reference Letters are more than enough. 20% of the time I was referring to the Companies which have a bad reputation with CIC or Black Listed companies. In your case since you worked for companies in UK there should't be any problem with your application

2) In that case include one or two bank statements for each employment history(as an additional proof that you worked). However, this is an optional document.

3) You get points if your experience are in different NOC's( O, A,B only). But when filling your application it will ask you what is your primary occupation NOC. Where you have to make a choice between NOC's 2133 or 0014. You must have at-least 1 year experience in your primary NOC.
Thanks for your input. I hope that reference letters will be sufficient, but just in case, I have requested digital copies of payslips from my previous employers. Its probably a good idea to provide a couple of bank statements per employment history as you've suggested.

As to my NOC, I have 3 years in 2133 and 1 year in 0014. I do have another 3 years of experience since then but this has been voluntary work and trying to launch a start-up company, which I will have to put in my personal history as it wasn't paid experience. So in my PR application, would I put only the 3 years of 2133 in work history or should I include both 2133 and 0014 in work history? I won't get any extra points for more than 3 years of foreign work experience, but perhaps it can demonstrate that I have employability skills? Or should I relegate my paid 0014 experience to personal history because its not my primary occupation?

Also do I need to provide a cover letter to explain why I've been not been in paid employment for the past 3 years, or should this be evident from my personal history?

PS. At what stage do original documents (IELTS, PCC and passport) need to be submitted?