+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pay/Jobs for real estate professionals in Canada?

Hk1991

Apr 21, 2018
Hi all, thanks in advance for reading my post. I currently work as a Management Trainee in a Hong Kong property developer (not MNC) with a pay of ~$22K HKD and housing provided (roughly ~$8K HKD in value if shared with two roommates)/month. Is it possible for me to get an equivalent compensation in any Canadian city? My title of Management Trainee must be vague so let's say I'm a trainee in Leasing or Property Management (NOC 1224?). The ideal case is to go to a place that's as multicultural as possible; Also, I don't mind living a little further from Vancouver since I'm already taking long commutes every day (my residence is closer to the Chinese border than my office) anyway.

For now, I'm one requirement short of the FSW program (i.e., one year of unbroken work experience in one NOC). I have my IELTS scores (8+ average) and WES certification (Master's degree) already. However, my one year of work experience right now is in different NOCs (got rotated) so it doesn't count.

I want to know how best to go about job searching as a real estate professional in/around Vancouver or elsewhere? Do Canadian real estate firms and recruiters recognize HK work experience or do I need to go through a grad program (MRE, MBA, etc.) in Canada to get a foot in the job market? Wouldn't be cheap, even for PRs, but hey gotta do what you gotta do.

So, to recap my questions: (1) can I get equal or higher pay in Canada pre-tax and (2) what resources/recruiters to use for real estate professionals in Canada? Thank you all in advance.

Reactions: Ybenali

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Industry is slightly different because Canadian rental market tends to be less expensive properties. Canadians tend to buy versus rent. There is a high end rental market does exist but the real estate market doesn't work the same as in HK. You definitely won't get a housing allowance but entry-level real estate jobs may be similar in salary. You should get licensed as a real estate agent but the market is pretty saturated and in real estate in general, but especially in Vancouver, it is all about who you know. The Canadian real estate market has been very strong for 15 or more years in most cities so lots of people have gotten into real estate. At some point this will/might end/stabilize. All depends who you ask.

Reactions: scylla

Hk1991

Apr 21, 2018
Industry is slightly different because Canadian rental market tends to be less expensive properties. Canadians tend to buy versus rent. There is a high end rental market does exist but the real estate market doesn't work the same as in HK. You definitely won't get a housing allowance but entry-level real estate jobs may be similar in salary. You should get licensed as a real estate agent but the market is pretty saturated and in real estate in general, but especially in Vancouver, it is all about who you know. The Canadian real estate market has been very strong for 15 or more years in most cities so lots of people have gotten into real estate. At some point this will/might end/stabilize. All depends who you ask.
Interesting, thanks canuck78. What do you work as if I might ask?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is my opinion on your case:
You will have to start fresh as a junior. So forget about any allowances or paid something (you will be glad if your work phone bill will be paid).
I doubt that they will recognize any of your real estate experience from HK. You are speaking about something where you really need to know the local market well. (which your previous experience will not give you).
I would also assume, that they will be more picky when it comes to your level of English. The only part which is somehow transferable would be the knowledge of certain type of customers (new arrivals from the same cultural group you are used to work with).
So you will start from the very bottom and you will be competing with the fresh graduates. Plus your master degree might actually work against you (as they might see you as generally overqualified).
At the end yes, you will get something with a similar paycheck (if you manage to get in) - somewhere like 3K CAD per month after taxes. However you have to pay for renting something (just a room in apartment in Vancouver can be close to 800+ CAD per month). And then you need to commute where car in your business is kind of must (count another 300 just to own it and lets say 400+ for the gas bill - all that per month). So you will be left with 1500 CAD to live from - that is for food, clothing, telephone bills or anything else.
Of course it can get much better later on (it will really depend on your luck and how much you work on yourself). Just be ready that the starting position will be really bumpy.