+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pausing the listening section tape - possible?

X

xibalban

Hi fellas,

My IELTS is scheduled on 8th April 2017.
Just wanted to know if we are allowed to pause the listening section audio, is it possible?

Thanks!

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
No, you are not allowed to pause it and you can't pause it. You have no control over play, pause, stop, etc. You can listen to the audio just once and you have to be alert.

X

xibalban

Thanks for the response.
Maybe, you might also know whether the answers to the listening test are evaluated by a person or a computer. I've been taking mock tests for the listening test and the answers differ subtly:
For instance, I had answered 25 for a date, while the actual answer was 25th or I answered 5-12, while the answer was 5 to 12 (which are basically the same thing), because if examined by a human the answer is correct but a computer might look for a perfect spelling match, etc.

Thanks for the help.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
IELTS is a paper based test and CELPIP is computer based. Nobody knows who checks the answers.

You need to write the answer exactly how you hear it.

X

xibalban

Well, I'm doing these wonderful tests available on www(dot)ieltsonlinetests(dot)com for free, and it is being very "precise" with the answer checks. I'd have in most cases, got a 40/40, but these subtle differences cause the scores to drop to 38-39 :(

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
yes keep practicing.

X

xibalban

Oh, just one last thing.
Are the reading test questions presented on-screen (computer) or are these printed sheets?

Thanks!! (and I still can't find that "good" button. Is it visible to new members?)

progression

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
Isfijob
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xibalban said:
Oh, just one last thing.
Are the reading test questions presented on-screen (computer) or are these printed sheets?

Thanks!! (and I still can't find that "good" button. Is it visible to new members?)
No, everything is on paper. You'll have to fill out two answer sheets for Listening and Reading. Then you'll be given separate sheets to write your essay by hand. Your answers should be clear as much as possible.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
IELTS is paper based. Make sure you practice writing your answers on paper with a pencil. These days with typing on the computer and texting on a phone, our handwriting can be illegible and slow.

X

xibalban

Am I allowed to wear a wrist watch inside the test centre? If not, how do I keep a tab on time?

progression

Star Member
Feb 2, 2017
Isfijob
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xibalban said:
Am I allowed to wear a wrist watch inside the test centre? If not, how do I keep a tab on time?
No, you are not allowed to take anything with you except for pencils, eraser, sharpener, and a bottle of water.

There are multiple electronic clocks in the test room. Also, test admins usually keep reminding about the time you have left.

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
In times of smart watches, students can cheat easily.

X

xibalban

I've finished with quite a lot of mock tests. I require a tip, guys, if you may.

I seem to have problems with "multiple choice" questions in the listening section, can't seem to keep up with the audio while I try to read the questions simultaneously. Any tip??

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
xibalban said:
I've finished with quite a lot of mock tests. I require a tip, guys, if you may.

I seem to have problems with "multiple choice" questions in the listening section, can't seem to keep up with the audio while I try to read the questions simultaneously. Any tip??
Read the questions in advance and you will know that the audio is about. Try to fit in each choice in the blank and see which fits the best and listen out for those details.

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
xibalban said:

if you can write fast (like i do) try to write down everything that they say... i mean lets say sentence is "i ate an apple pie, caramel custard and drank lots of lemonade" if you can write "apple pie, custard, lemonade drank" on your paper it should be good enough.

if its multiple choice questions usually its 2 people talking... and normally one is a boy other is a girl... so make sure you dont mix up what boy said with what girl said... i did that in one of my tests and got poor marks, just one idiotic mistake made me write ielts again lol

but for me what worked was jotting down the entire conversation, then based on that i choose the correct answers after reading what i wrote down.

trust me everything comes with practise only, lots and lots of practise.

good luck