+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pathways to PR

Ezzo90

Jan 12, 2019
Asking for a friend:

Hello
I am on a visitor visa with my family ( 5 members) in Toronto.
I am exploring options for pathways to gain a status in Canada that can lead to permanent residency.
I was wondering If I am allowed to start up a business in Canada (I do have the funds for that) and if that can be a way to gain status.
Or If I was offered a job in Canada would I be able to get a work permit and add my family (spouse and children) as dependents?

Any insights are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Asking for a friend:

Hello
I am on a visitor visa with my family ( 5 members) in Toronto.
I am exploring options for pathways to gain a status in Canada that can lead to permanent residency.
I was wondering If I am allowed to start up a business in Canada (I do have the funds for that) and if that can be a way to gain status.
Or If I was offered a job in Canada would I be able to get a work permit and add my family (spouse and children) as dependents?

Any insights are highly appreciated.

Thanks
Starting a business does not let you work for the business. You need to apply through the Start Up Visa program and get a business incubator or angel investors or look at PNP Entrepreneur programs. When you say funds, for PNP, I assume you mean your net worth is in the hundreds of thousands. You also need to show experience in running a business. Whether the business is accepted depends on the business plan and economic benefits to Canada.

A job offer does not allow you to work in Canada either. You need an approved LMIA from your employer. The employer pays $1k and proves no Canadian or PR can do the job, only you. You would need to show work experience, ECA and IELTS to prove you are the only one qualified. Working in Canada does not mean a pathway to PR. You still need to be eligible for Express Entry or PNP programs.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Starting a business does not let you work for the business. You need to apply through the Start Up Visa program and get a business incubator or angel investors or look at PNP Entrepreneur programs. When you say funds, for PNP, I assume you mean your net worth is in the hundreds of thousands. You also need to show experience in running a business. Whether the business is accepted depends on the business plan and economic benefits to Canada.

A job offer does not allow you to work in Canada either. You need an approved LMIA from your employer. The employer pays $1k and proves no Canadian or PR can do the job, only you. You would need to show work experience, ECA and IELTS to prove you are the only one qualified. Working in Canada does not mean a pathway to PR. You still need to be eligible for Express Entry or PNP programs.
Your friend really should go home and start researching express entry programs if the whole family would like to move to Canada. If you qualify for one it can take up to a few years to secure PR. If you or your spouse work in a field in demand then the process will likely be faster. There are language tests required and education needs to be evaluated.