+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pathway to PR under CEC with 1 year PGWP

parth7d

Nov 6, 2018
Hello there,

I am new here and this is my first thread. Apologies for the mistakes, if I make any.

My question here is, has anybody successfully applied for PR under CEC with 1 year PGWP? If yes, can you help me with the breakdown of dates for application, in a way that I do not have to leave Canada.

My Situation:
  • 2 years work experience outside Canada.
  • Landed in Canada on a Study Permit - Sept 2017
  • Completed 1 year Post Grad course - April 2018
  • Acquired a job on the very first day of my work permit - 6th June 2018 (PGWP expires on 6th June 2019)
  • Currently working for the same employer(7 month completed; less than 5 months to go)
Appeared for IELTS thrice, unfortunately not being able to score above 7 in writing.
Scored required band in the other 3 sections. So, I guess CEC is the only option for me.

When should I create my profile and then when should I apply for Work Permit extension so that I do not need to leave Canada?

Thanks in advance for inputs! :)

Cheers!

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Are you not qualified under FSW with your 2 year experience?

You can't extend your work permit until after you submit a PR application or obtain LMIA from an employer.

parth7d

Nov 6, 2018
Thanks for helping me out here.

I do not have enough points under FSW with 6.5 bands in writing. (I need L-8 bands and S/R/W-7 bands)
LMIA is out of question (I am not that skillful that employer will go out of the way to help me out) :p

So my doubt is - is it possible to submit my PR application on 5th June 2019 and apply for work permit on 6th June 2019?

Hence, as soon as I apply for work permit I'll be on implied status and that way I have even submitted my PR application after 1 year of work ex.

I know I am being super optimistic here. But that's that confusion I am in; Please let me know of any hazards that I may face by doing so.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
To submit an application on Jun 5, you would have to accept an ITA before that date. There're mixed opinions on this. IMO you shouldn't accept an ITA when you haven't actually accumulated one year of experience. Some people think it's fine as long as you have one year at the time of submission. I can't give you a definitive answer. Wait for other senior members to comment

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
So my doubt is - is it possible to submit my PR application on 5th June 2019 and apply for work permit on 6th June 2019?

No, you need to meet the 1 year eligibility requirement at the time you receive the ITA. There's no way you could ensure you get the ITA on June 5th, let alone submit a complete application, receive the AOR, and apply online for the BOWP within 24 hours...

Please let me know of any hazards that I may face by doing so.

Besides stress and insanity? : ) If you are refused, you will have wasted money and several months, and have to start over again...

parth7d

Nov 6, 2018
Thanks jes_ON

I have a much clearer picture now.
Is it possible to apply for a visitor visa and stay in here after PGWP expires?
And do they approve visitor visa in such cases?

Please let me know, if you are aware of any other way that I can stay in Canada after my PGWP expires.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks jes_ON
I have a much clearer picture now.
Is it possible to apply for a visitor visa and stay in here after PGWP expires?
And do they approve visitor visa in such cases?
Of course. Unfortunately you would not be able to work.

Please let me know, if you are aware of any other way that I can stay in Canada after my PGWP expires.
What country are you from?

parth7d

Nov 6, 2018
Okay! So, would you please suggest me on when should I apply for Visitor visa, considering the PGWP expires in June 2019.

What country are you from?
I am from India.

Thank You.

ayeshasultana2171

Star Member
Jul 16, 2017
Hi Parth ,

I am in same situation as yours . I got 1 year PGWP which will end in MAY 2020 and i am really not sure as how to approach for the CEC.

I cant show my 1 year experience till march 2020 and my PGWP will expire in May 2020 , only 2 months will be remaining in the PGWP .

How did you extended your PGWP or did you followed some other option . Please reply soon as i am in dire need ..

PS: Can we apply for a study permit again before pgwp expires that to within Canada. If yes then do we have to show the GIC or any other finances to get the study permit approved ..

Thank you ,
Ayesha

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Parth ,

I am in same situation as yours . I got 1 year PGWP which will end in MAY 2020 and i am really not sure as how to approach for the CEC.

I cant show my 1 year experience till march 2020 and my PGWP will expire in May 2020 , only 2 months will be remaining in the PGWP .

How did you extended your PGWP or did you followed some other option . Please reply soon as i am in dire need ..

PS: Can we apply for a study permit again before pgwp expires that to within Canada. If yes then do we have to show the GIC or any other finances to get the study permit approved ..

Thank you ,
Ayesha
How many points will you have under the Express Entry points system once you have a year of working in Canada? Right now you need 450 points to be selected.

There are limited options for being able to keep working. One is to get an approved LMIA from your employer so that you can apply for a closed work permit. The other is to receive ITA and submit your PR application so that you qualify for a BOWP.

Yes - if you want to apply for a study permit again, you will need to show that you have finances to cover the costs of your studies and living expenses. Note that if you study again, you will not qualify for another PGWP.

ayeshasultana2171

Star Member
Jul 16, 2017
Hi,
Thanks for the reply .

I will get 450 points in express entry but only after completing one year work experience which will happen in mar 2020.

Is it possible to complete the full time hours before 52 weeks / 1 year and then file cec ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

ayeshasultana2171

Star Member
Jul 16, 2017
Okay ,

Anything else apart from this , like I heard that Prince Edward Island Will give pr in 6 months but we need to work in skill level c and d .

Any knowledge on that please!!!

Thanks for the help.

parth7d

Nov 6, 2018
Hi Parth ,

Thank you ,
Ayesha
Hi Ayesha,

Firstly, I don't mean to demotivate you, but just want to help you in case of any misconceptions.

If you have 1 year PGWP, how could you complete 1 year work ex and still have 2 months left on PGWP?
I am assuming you're considering the work ex of the time when you were on Implied Status. Work Ex on Implied status is not considered for EE.

I'd suggest you to take IELTS and get higher score to achieve the required CRS score.
OR
Once you complete your full 1 year Canadian work ex, apply for Visitor status before PGWP expires and continue with EE application.

In my case, I have 2 years of foreign work ex and hence I am eligible for EE without Canadian Ex(though I do have a job in the same NOC A)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
If you have 1 year PGWP, how could you complete 1 year work ex and still have 2 months left on PGWP?
I am assuming you're considering the work ex of the time when you were on Implied Status. Work Ex on Implied status is not considered for EE.

That is incorrect.
1) Graduates are eligible to work full-time as soon as they submit their PGWP application, they do not have to wait until the PGWP is issued. That experience is authorized, and counts.
2) In general - "implied status" is authorized work experience, and counts.

Reactions: scylla and parth7d