+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Past Employer Taken Over by a Different Company

Kay2

Sep 10, 2010
I have another question about the evidence of past experience.

How can I show my experience if the company that I used to work for about 8 years ago has gone through major changes. Since I left, first it was re-incorporated with a different name. Then a year later it was merged into another company. Then again, just last year the merged companies almost went bust resulting in a hasty take-over deal with another company. The new parent company made major changes in the business operations and laid off majority of the legacy staff. The bottom line is, it is no more the company that I used to work for. The name, the logo, the letterhead, the managers and even the business and operating market is not the same. I'll try to contact them tomorrow first thing in the morning to see if they still maintain the HR and payroll database of the employees from 8 years ago, but chances are slim that they would.

As such, how can I prove that I worked for that company 8 years ago. I might have one or two odd letters from the company sent to me regarding annual leave or something, or a tax contribution slip etc. I think I might also have a recommendation letter issued to me by the then-manager in support of my application for admission in the university 9 years ago. However, in addition to being so old, that letter too is on a letterhead that nobody would now recognise. That gentleman who issued the letter has also moved on now and works at the UN headquarters. I guess I could request a personal reference from him. Would that help prove my experience and get me additional points for 2 years' experience?

asyousuf

Champion Member
Jan 7, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
April 2011
Kay2 said:
I have another question about the evidence of past experience.

How can I show my experience if the company that I used to work for about 8 years ago has gone through major changes. Since I left, first it was re-incorporated with a different name. Then a year later it was merged into another company. Then again, just last year the merged companies almost went bust resulting in a hasty take-over deal with another company. The new parent company made major changes in the business operations and laid off majority of the legacy staff. The bottom line is, it is no more the company that I used to work for. The name, the logo, the letterhead, the managers and even the business and operating market is not the same. I'll try to contact them tomorrow first thing in the morning to see if they still maintain the HR and payroll database of the employees from 8 years ago, but chances are slim that they would.

As such, how can I prove that I worked for that company 8 years ago. I might have one or two odd letters from the company sent to me regarding annual leave or something, or a tax contribution slip etc. I think I might also have a recommendation letter issued to me by the then-manager in support of my application for admission in the university 9 years ago. However, in addition to being so old, that letter too is on a letterhead that nobody would now recognise. That gentleman who issued the letter has also moved on now and works at the UN headquarters. I guess I could request a personal reference from him. Would that help prove my experience and get me additional points for 2 years' experience?
Well i had similar situaion. Company i used to work with back in 2000 closed down in 2006 hence no evidence for my experience but appointment letter. The only thing that i did was wrote a formal letter to CHC explaining the situation and shared the address / contact info of the company.

No further clarification was sought and got the visa
asyousuf

Kay2

Sep 10, 2010
Thanks asyousuf.

If that worked for you then learning about it is quite relieving for me too. I think I should also write an explanation letter along with whatever information I can gather including a personal reference letter from my former boss.

If you have a minute or two, could you please also look at my other 2 questions and reply according to your experience?

Kay2

Sep 10, 2010
My other questions are here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/is-selfcertification-of-the-experience-permissibleadmissible-t73921.0.html
and here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/educational-qualification-to-be-eligible-for-one-of-the-29-occupations-t73615.0.html