+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Past Employees "Reference Letters" required for Canadian Experience Class?

adityakulkarni1990

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
Hi,

I have finished my MBA in Canada and currently on 3 years of open work permit. I am currently working in a IT firm in Vancouver as Business Analyst. I am planning to apply my PR under Canadian experience class. I have 3.5 years of skilled worker experience back in India. I can apply under federal skilled worker but it will be really troublesome and tedious task to get the reference letters from my past employees as per the CIC guidelines.

So my question is if I decided to apply under CEC, do I need to show the "reference letters" from my past employees? Is it mandatory? I dont want to claim points for my past experience under CEC. Please guide. Thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi,

I have finished my MBA in Canada and currently on 3 years of open work permit. I am currently working in a IT firm in Vancouver as Business Analyst. I am planning to apply my PR under Canadian experience class. I have 3.5 years of skilled worker experience back in India. I can apply under federal skilled worker but it will be really troublesome and tedious task to get the reference letters from my past employees as per the CIC guidelines.

So my question is if I decided to apply under CEC, do I need to show the "reference letters" from my past employees? Is it mandatory? I dont want to claim points for my past experience under CEC. Please guide. Thanks.
If you do not need the points for having foreign work experience, you can safely omit it from your profile, and then you will not need to provide reference letters / proof of the experience. (Later, if you receive an ITA and complete the eAPR, you will list them in your background info, but you won't need to show proof).

Reactions: msmahmood

adityakulkarni1990

Star Member
Dec 13, 2014
If you do not need the points for having foreign work experience, you can safely omit it from your profile, and then you will not need to provide reference letters / proof of the experience. (Later, if you receive an ITA and complete the eAPR, you will list them in your background info, but you won't need to show proof).
Thank you :)

msmahmood

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i can confirm this, a friend of mine did exactly this and he is doing his landing next week.

bobbyjindal

Jan 24, 2018
What about points for domestic work experience?

I have lived in Canada past 2 years working. Received ITA December - currently uploading final documents, filling out online profile. I have had a 4 month NOC C job. Then I have got 14 months cumulative experience ( and my current job) is NOC A. Do i HAVE to put down NOC C job? (This will require more work for me, since I have to get reference letter from NOC C boss etc.). Basically if I don't need to claim points for the NOC C job, do I need to include it? Or can I omit this from my profile?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
What about points for domestic work experience?
I have lived in Canada past 2 years working. Received ITA December - currently uploading final documents, filling out online profile. I have had a 4 month NOC C job. Then I have got 14 months cumulative experience ( and my current job) is NOC A. Do i HAVE to put down NOC C job? (This will require more work for me, since I have to get reference letter from NOC C boss etc.). Basically if I don't need to claim points for the NOC C job, do I need to include it? Or can I omit this from my profile?
You cannot 'claim points' for NOC C jobs, it is not eligible, and per instructions you should NOT list it.

sababx

Feb 15, 2017
Calgary
Visa Office......
Canada
NOC Code......
You cannot 'claim points' for NOC C jobs, it is not eligible, and per instructions you should NOT list it.
My employer CIBC gave me an employment letter stating that I have joined on 16th Jan 2017 and am working currently with stated amount of salary and a list of job duties and responsibilities and that they wish me good luck with my PR process. But it doesn't say about the NOC Code or category anywhere but I know that it is a B category job.

Is that fine?

bobbyjindal

Jan 24, 2018
Thanks for the response, I know I cannot claim points, hence I dont even want to list it. Can you let me know what you mean by "per instructions you should not list it". Is there anywhere I can find these instructions?

There are 2 places I can possibly list it the NOC C job. In the Personal History section (which all time has to be accounted for), and the Work history section. Are you saying don't list this NOC C job on both forms? If so, How do I deal with the fact that all time must be accounted for on the Personal History section?

bobbyjindal

Jan 24, 2018
My employer CIBC gave me an employment letter stating that I have joined on 16th Jan 2017 and am working currently with stated amount of salary and a list of job duties and responsibilities and that they wish me good luck with my PR process. But it doesn't say about the NOC Code or category anywhere but I know that it is a B category job.

Is that fine?
The requirements for an employment reference letter is as follows - this is directly from the CIC form:

1) Must be an official document printed on company letter head
2) Include your name, company contact info (address + telephone + email address), signature of a immediate
3) Show all positions held at the company ( in my case just this one)
4) Job title, duties/responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of hours per week, annual salary plus benefits

There is no mention of NOC Code requirement on the reference letter. I have friends who did all the above, did not have NOC code in their letters, and they have received their PR.

Reactions: sababx

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks for the response, I know I cannot claim points, hence I dont even want to list it. Can you let me know what you mean by "per instructions you should not list it". Is there anywhere I can find these instructions?

There are 2 places I can possibly list it the NOC C job. In the Personal History section (which all time has to be accounted for), and the Work history section. Are you saying don't list this NOC C job on both forms? If so, How do I deal with the fact that all time must be accounted for on the Personal History section?
No, that is not what I am saying at all. In your first post you mentioned completing the profile and asking about points. I realize now you also mentioned receiving the ITA and completing the application forms. I have absolutely no idea how you could be doing both at the same time, since the profile / points comes before getting an ITA... but you have to be clear which stage of the application process you are talking about. Perhaps you were clear and I simply misunderstood, if so apologize - moving on -

For the Profile / Points - list only eligible work experience for which you are claiming points. No level C work is eligible, so you do not list it in the profile.

if you get an ITA and then are completing the eAPR -
For the Schedule A - Background/Declaration, Section 8, Personal History, you have to list EVERYTHING, regardless of whether it is in your profile or not.

There is no "Work History" section on this form (unless the online version is different), are you talking about a different form? The forms have instructions at the beginning of each section... If it is something like Schedule 3 or 4 "Economic Classes," here you list the work experience you want assessed for program eligibility (e.g. claiming for points only).

Last edited:

sababx

Feb 15, 2017
Calgary
Visa Office......
Canada
NOC Code......
The requirements for an employment reference letter is as follows - this is directly from the CIC form:

1) Must be an official document printed on company letter head
2) Include your name, company contact info (address + telephone + email address), signature of a immediate
3) Show all positions held at the company ( in my case just this one)
4) Job title, duties/responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of hours per week, annual salary plus benefits

There is no mention of NOC Code requirement on the reference letter. I have friends who did all the above, did not have NOC code in their letters, and they have received their PR.
Thanks. Yes I got the exact same letter then!