+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport with spouse's surname

anyhopeforme

Aug 8, 2014
Hi everyone,

I was a little confused with what I read on the passport application form. I see it mentioned that if you are requesting a passport in a surname different to the one on your citizenship certificate due to a relationship, you would need to provide a marriage certificate.

I didn't know that this was possible to do! I cannot change my surname to my married name on my identification cards as I live in Quebec, but I plan on doing so if and when I move out of the province.

Am I understanding correctly that you can get a passport with your married name even if it is not a legal name change?

I don't want to cause any issues or delay processing once I'm at the stage to apply for my Canadian passport.

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

anyhopeforme said:
Hi everyone,

I was a little confused with what I read on the passport application form. I see it mentioned that if you are requesting a passport in a surname different to the one on your citizenship certificate due to a relationship, you would need to provide a marriage certificate.

I didn't know that this was possible to do! I cannot change my surname to my married name on my identification cards as I live in Quebec, but I plan on doing so if and when I move out of the province.

Am I understanding correctly that you can get a passport with your married name even if it is not a legal name change?

I don't want to cause any issues or delay processing once I'm at the stage to apply for my Canadian passport.

Thanks!
1. As you reside in Quebec, your passport would be issued in your maiden name.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anyhopeforme said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Yes, outside of Quebec, a person (man or woman) can take their spouse's surname. This can be done on a passport, driver's licence, health card, etc., simply by showing a marriage certificate. Traditionally, women have taken their husband's name (e.g. Mrs. John Smith), and this was never done by official name change. Nowadays, with gender equality, a man can take his wife's surname (or a man take his husband's surname, etc.), or, the names can be hyphenated. Once a person takes a married name, they can revert to their birth name at any time, simply by informing the relevant department.