+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport validity requirement while PR application

rapu

Oct 2, 2016
Hello experts,
Last week I have received AINP nomination and now I am planning to submit my application (by or before mid Oct 2016). However, my passport is going to expire in Feb 2017. Due to my passport expiry, my current work-permit is also valid till Feb 2017 only. I don't want to delay my application until I get new passport. My question is -

Is there a mandatory requirement of minimum 6 months of passport validity before application submission?

I am thinking to submit the application now and meanwhile get the new passport done. I guess, I should be able to update the passport number once I get the application file number.

Please suggest. Thanks.

MM3

Oct 7, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
PNP
it should have at least valid for 6 months before passport request. currently processing time right now is 15 months.

rapu said:
Hello experts,
Last week I have received AINP nomination and now I am planning to submit my application (by or before mid Oct 2016). However, my passport is going to expire in Feb 2017. Due to my passport expiry, my current work-permit is also valid till Feb 2017 only. I don't want to delay my application until I get new passport. My question is -

Is there a mandatory requirement of minimum 6 months of passport validity before application submission?

I am thinking to submit the application now and meanwhile get the new passport done. I guess, I should be able to update the passport number once I get the application file number.

Please suggest. Thanks.

rapu

Oct 2, 2016
Thanks MM3.
Does it mean that I can proceed to submit my application for now and update it to CIC once I receive the new passport?

Thanks once again.

Nlkko

Star Member
Nov 26, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2014
Nomination.....
17-10-2015
AOR Received.
08-03-2016
Med's Request
02-11-2016
Med's Done....
13-11-2016
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2017
LANDED..........
17-03-2017
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/permanent-resident-applicants-passport-expiring-in-few-monthsrenew-now-t89533.0.html

You can probably try submitting old passport now and send a change request later on to update new passport. Doing so will save your spot in the queue now rather than it being a few months later.

Worst thing is they reject your application until valid passport is provided (incomplete application) but I don't think so.

Either way get the new passport processed ASAP.

rapu

Oct 2, 2016
Thanks a lot.
yes, i am sending the application as well as applying new passport at the same time. As you rightly mentioned it would save my time.

Nifemi05

Star Member
Jun 3, 2015
Yes, you can send your application right away with explanation letter - your application will not be rejected.
Once you renew your passport, send copy of it as an update through case enquiry and postal address because sometimes case enquiry might not deliver it. Just to be on the saver side.
That's what I did and it was okay, please do not delay your application. 6 months valid of passport is to issue you a visa and you're not at stage now (PPR).
I hope this help, good luck!

rapu

Oct 2, 2016
Hi, thanks for the detailed suggestions. Yes, i have submitted my application just today only with old passport details. Will follow with new passport shortly and will update to CIC once I get the file number. Hope this is how it works.

Great day ahead.

sree7827

Apr 5, 2018
I am currently in canada on a work permit and will complete 1 year in canada by feb 2019 and hoping that I will get ITA under canadian experience class for express entry. The problem is my passport expires on jan 2020 and not sure if I should renew it before submitting the profile? Is it required to have 6 months validity on passport while submitting the passport for pr visa stamping?

flash222

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Canada
Hi, thanks for the detailed suggestions. Yes, i have submitted my application just today only with old passport details. Will follow with new passport shortly and will update to CIC once I get the file number. Hope this is how it works.

Great day ahead.
this might be an old thread already, but i really want to know what happened with you submitting your old passport. did it work? i have the same problem now. the release of our new passports will be in October. 2 months is so long to wait before we submit our PR application.

eswarravipati

Apr 16, 2020
Hello All,
I am in the same position.. my passport is expiring on january 4,2021 and I have submitted my pr application with old passport on october 16th. I am in the process of submitting renewal for my passport. I wanted to know if my application is safe or not. I have mentioned in my loe that i will submit my new passport once I have recieved it.
Thanks!

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hello All,
I am in the same position.. my passport is expiring on january 4,2021 and I have submitted my pr application with old passport on october 16th. I am in the process of submitting renewal for my passport. I wanted to know if my application is safe or not. I have mentioned in my loe that i will submit my new passport once I have recieved it.
Thanks!
Yes you can renew anytime you want. When you get AOR then submit new pass With webform to cic.