+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport validity less than 6 months at time of entry!!!!

Priyanil

Jan 6, 2018
There is no problem if you renew your passport. However, to enter Canada you need a visa, which is on your old passport.
So you have to use the old passport for travelling. (No use of new passport even if you have it).

The only advantage of new passport is that, you don't have to apply for a new one immediately after reaching Canada. However it has no role to play in you immigrating (travelling) to Canada.

Even after reaching Canada, you will need to use your old passport for many other things (like opening bank account, obtaining social insurance number etc etc). so even if your passport is less than 6 months valid, it still is a very important requirement for a host of things and cannot be substituted by new passport.
So @Sravi do I need to inform IRCC about the new passport. I have same case my son's passport is expiring in Sept 2020 and we plan to land there in April 2020. Thought to get the passport renewed here in India. But I got a reply from Canadian embassy to get the CoPR stamped on the new passport.

Now I'm more confused. Looking for suggestions.

ntkotian

Jan 24, 2018
India
NOC Code......
So @Sravi do I need to inform IRCC about the new passport. I have same case my son's passport is expiring in Sept 2020 and we plan to land there in April 2020. Thought to get the passport renewed here in India. But I got a reply from Canadian embassy to get the CoPR stamped on the new passport.

Now I'm more confused. Looking for suggestions.
Hi

I am in the same situation, can you please inform the steps you have taken for passport with 6 months validity.
regards
N

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
Hi All. I have a question and hope that to be answered here. We (Me, My Wife and Daughter) are due to enter Canada before 27/05/2018 as per our COPR and my daughter's passport is expiring on 24/09/2018. We are planning to enter Canada in month of April 2018 which means that validity of my daughter's passport will be less than 6 months at that time.

So my question is that if she can enter in month of April 2018 with her current passport or not????
If not, Weather I can apply her new passport in my current country of residence (India) and carry her new as well as old passport at the time of entry???

Thanks a Lot...
no problem, just be valid to enter Canada, at least you have an stop somewhere else.
did you land?

Gulgul

Jul 21, 2020
Hello.plz someone help. My son is 5year old and will be landing here for the first time from India. But his passport is expiring in September 2020 and due to covid 19 they refused to renew his passport..can he still land here if his passport expiring in one month? Plz plz plz reply it is urgent .

ntkotian

Jan 24, 2018
India
NOC Code......
Hello.plz someone help. My son is 5year old and will be landing here for the first time from India. But his passport is expiring in September 2020 and due to covid 19 they refused to renew his passport..can he still land here if his passport expiring in one month? Plz plz plz reply it is urgent .
hi
as per India immigration 6 months validity required.
but if you are permanent resident visa, you can take chance , may be they will allow.
request you to check with airline or immigration. hope others in group throw some light may be someone who has travelled with 6 months less validity passport can help, because saw some thread where people with less than 6 months valid passport have travelled. Request you to double check with authority.

Reactions: Gulgul

Cassiano

Dec 4, 2017
yes,
Canada does not care.
the passport have to be valid at the moment of landing, no matter about time.

Gulgul

Jul 21, 2020
Thanks for your reply. Is this 100% sure...sorry for asking about surity but I am just scared that he comes and if immigration makes an issue about passport validity. Plz reply.

Rahul81

Jun 2, 2020
Hi - had you been in Canada and than your son’s passport carried less than 6 month validity or may be expired while in Canada no issues because countries have agreements in place where they allow citizens to travel say up to 6 months or 1 year post expiry.

But if you are leaving India , it’s not permissible, may be Canada won’t care but Indian immigration won’t let u pass by. Apply passport under tatkaal, it will be issued in 2 days and under Norma process also it takes less than week.
You need to refer passport India website

But when you get renewed passport it will say all visas in cancelled passport are valid so it won’t impact any existing visas.

Reactions: Harshit99

Gulgul

Jul 21, 2020
Hi, we tried to renew his passport in india but they refused to renew it ...they say due to covid 19 we are not allowed to renew kids passport. And his landing period also going to expire in September if he does not come.

Rahul81

Jun 2, 2020
I think you should keep checking when they start renewal of passports. Also check with airlines in case you are booking flights as they are aware of any exemptions in place in these circumstances. They will not give you surety but will tell you if you can travel or not.

Lastly raise webform to check with IRCC just in case your son does not travel. But I am sure Indian immigration won’t let your son travel. Do your checks while in India as in this forum you may get multiple responses which may confuse you.

sharath9292

Jun 23, 2018
Hi I have partly related question.
I am a Canadian permanent resident card holder since March 2019. Right now i am in India and flying back to Canada in January 2021. My passport validity is less than 6 months (exactly 5.5 months to expiry) from the date am flying back and not sure whether the airlines refuse to board the plane because of less than 6 months validity. I want to after landing in Canada.
I hope I don't have any issues