+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport validity less than 6 months at time of entry!!!!

randy250683

Sep 7, 2016
Amritsar
Hi All. I have a question and hope that to be answered here. We (Me, My Wife and Daughter) are due to enter Canada before 27/05/2018 as per our COPR and my daughter's passport is expiring on 24/09/2018. We are planning to enter Canada in month of April 2018 which means that validity of my daughter's passport will be less than 6 months at that time.

So my question is that if she can enter in month of April 2018 with her current passport or not????
If not, Weather I can apply her new passport in my current country of residence (India) and carry her new as well as old passport at the time of entry???

Thanks a Lot...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All. I have a question and hope that to be answered here. We (Me, My Wife and Daughter) are due to enter Canada before 27/05/2018 as per our COPR and my daughter's passport is expiring on 24/09/2018. We are planning to enter Canada in month of April 2018 which means that validity of my daughter's passport will be less than 6 months at that time.

So my question is that if she can enter in month of April 2018 with her current passport or not????
If not, Weather I can apply her new passport in my current country of residence (India) and carry her new as well as old passport at the time of entry???

Thanks a Lot...
Hi

She can travel with her current passport. There is no minimum required validity.

randy250683

Sep 7, 2016
Amritsar
Hi

She can travel with her current passport. There is no minimum required validity.
Can I anyway apply for the fresh passport here in India only to avoid undue trouble at new place and take old passport (carrying stamped visa) as well as new one at the time of entry into canada???

Thanks a Lot.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Can I anyway apply for the fresh passport here in India only to avoid undue trouble at new place and take old passport (carrying stamped visa) as well as new one at the time of entry into canada???

Thanks a Lot.
Sure.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks a Lot for your help.

I was worried that Immigration Officer at the time of entry may cause problem regarding the whole matter and never knew that you can fly to other country if your passport is having validity of less than 6 months.
As I said, Canada has no minimum passport validity, so you would have no issues with CBSA if the passport is only valid for a few months.

Jasdeepkg

Feb 7, 2018
Dear All

My query is related and partly has been answered above. But I would also like to know that if this change in dependents passport has to be intimated to CiC? If so, how and when 1)before applying new passport or 2) after recieving a new one. In all other scenarios the visa stamped on old passport remains valid even if the passport is marked cancelled. All the doubt is because we have to land in Canada for the first time with the single entry Visa and CoPR. Hope one of you can enlighten us by throwing more insight on this. TIA.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Dear All

My query is related and partly has been answered above. But I would also like to know that if this change in dependents passport has to be intimated to CiC? If so, how and when 1)before applying new passport or 2) after recieving a new one. In all other scenarios the visa stamped on old passport remains valid even if the passport is marked cancelled. All the doubt is because we have to land in Canada for the first time with the single entry Visa and CoPR. Hope one of you can enlighten us by throwing more insight on this. TIA.
Yes, you should update IRCC with new passport information.

onlysim

Jun 6, 2018

Thanks a Lot...
Hello!
Can you please help what action you took as i am in similar situation now

Sravi

Nov 10, 2018
Hello!
Can you please help what action you took as i am in similar situation now
You can immigrate to Canada even if your passport is < 6 months valid at the time of entry. I recently immigrated and my passport was due to expire in 5 months time. All that matters is you are immigrating within the deadline mentioned on your COPR copies. CIC would have considered your passport expiry dates before giving that deadline. So don't worry.

Once you enter Canada, you can apply for your daughter's passport renewal to BLS.

(BLS takes in application for passport renewal even if passport has expired. So don't worry about passport now. You can always renew it after reaching Canada.)

Goof luck with your immigration. Have all documents in place.
If you are flying to Canada, it is helpful if you carry a list of items you are bringing to Canada.

Reactions: Hope457

onlysim

Jun 6, 2018
Thanks but problem is most airline dont allow if passport validity is less than 6 month.
Can i renew passport after Visa stamping and take old and new passport with me.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks but problem is most airline dont allow if passport validity is less than 6 month.
Can i renew passport after Visa stamping and take old and new passport with me.
Canada has no 6 month passport validity requirement. The airline cannot refuse boarding.

Sravi

Nov 10, 2018
Thanks do you any problem if i renewal my passport before travelling while visa is over old passport.

Regards,
There is no problem if you renew your passport. However, to enter Canada you need a visa, which is on your old passport.
So you have to use the old passport for travelling. (No use of new passport even if you have it).

The only advantage of new passport is that, you don't have to apply for a new one immediately after reaching Canada. However it has no role to play in you immigrating (travelling) to Canada.

Even after reaching Canada, you will need to use your old passport for many other things (like opening bank account, obtaining social insurance number etc etc). so even if your passport is less than 6 months valid, it still is a very important requirement for a host of things and cannot be substituted by new passport.

Jordan_10

Star Member
Jun 19, 2019
Australia
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
App. Filed.......
3rd April 2019
AOR Received.
3rd April 2019
Passport Req..
03-10-2019
VISA ISSUED...
23-10-2019
There is no problem if you renew your passport. However, to enter Canada you need a visa, which is on your old passport.
So you have to use the old passport for travelling. (No use of new passport even if you have it).

The only advantage of new passport is that, you don't have to apply for a new one immediately after reaching Canada. However it has no role to play in you immigrating (travelling) to Canada.

Even after reaching Canada, you will need to use your old passport for many other things (like opening bank account, obtaining social insurance number etc etc). so even if your passport is less than 6 months valid, it still is a very important requirement for a host of things and cannot be substituted by new passport.
Hi @Sravi when you sent your passport for stamping and for CoPR, was your passport valid for more than 6 months?

My passport expires in Jan 2020 and as of July 15th, 2019 I’ll have less than 6 months validity! Will i still be able to send my passport if I get my PPR?