+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport to get stamped in Detroit!

twobelowpar

Jul 15, 2009
My wife finally received her ready to issue instructions! She needs new pics (for the PR card apparently) and her passport. However, the officer stated he would be out of the office from Feb 17-28. That isn't enough time for it to get there so we'd like to make the 3 hour drive to Detroit, but only if we knew it would be done the same day. She obviously can't get back into Canada without the stamped passport. Does anyone know if this is even possible and if we should let them know when we're coming first?

Ryan

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
twobelowpar said:
My wife finally received her ready to issue instructions! She needs new pics (for the PR card apparently) and her passport. However, the officer stated he would be out of the office from Feb 17-28. That isn't enough time for it to get there so we'd like to make the 3 hour drive to Detroit, but only if we knew it would be done the same day. She obviously can't get back into Canada without the stamped passport. Does anyone know if this is even possible and if we should let them know when we're coming first?

Ryan
As far as I know, Detroit is a private office (same as New York). They do not stamp passports in-person. The supposedly are an interview location, but from what I've read here, if you select Detroit, they have you drive to the other side of the lake, and interview at Buffalo.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

twobelowpar

Jul 15, 2009
In the officer's correspondence with my wife last week, he said this:

"You may submit the passport etc. to the immigration receptionist between 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday. We are not open to the public on Wednesdays. If we an issue the visa on the same day, it would be ready for pick up at approximately 2:00 p.m."

So it implies we could do it in person. In my mind it's only worth the drive and the day off work if we would get it back the same day, which is unclear in the above statement. If he wasn't going to be out of the office for the rest of the month I wouldn't be so concerned and would just mail it in.

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
Is there a way to contact him or the office directly and ask about getting the visa? I would imagine they would know by now what chances you have at getting it same day.

twobelowpar

Jul 15, 2009
It's all good. He got back to me and though he can't guarantee it would be done the same day, it's very likely. To Detroit we go!