+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport submission in Delhi - In Person vs VFS

sarahmaria

Jun 18, 2013
One more question. My husband has been requested to submit his passport to Delhi. He works out of country and our best bet seems to be that he travel to Delhi himself and submit it. But I'm confused as to how. This is what the gov site says:

How to Submit your Passport

Applicants within India and Nepal who have been requested in writing by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to submit passports to a Canadian visa office in India are requested to use the services of VFS visa application centres to expedite processing. To submit your passport along with any accompanying documents, please contact the VFS branch nearest to you.

Applicants outside India or Nepal should be aware of Indian laws restricting sending of passports across international borders. You must either deposit your passport at a VFS office within India or Nepal (see instructions above) or send your passport by courier to the visa office. If you choose to send your passport by courier, you must provide a return mailing address within India or Nepal, as we cannot send passports to any other country, including Canada.

Please also be aware that passports submitted by courier or in person may be subject to significantly longer processing times.

So, does he travel to Delhi and submit it to a VFS office or does he submit it in person?

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
You cannot drop in person, go via VFS who will have better turnaround time, don't mail to ND directly, it will take 1 month +

mrs.riz

May 18, 2013
sarahmaria said:
One more question. My husband has been requested to submit his passport to Delhi. He works out of country and our best bet seems to be that he travel to Delhi himself and submit it. But I'm confused as to how. This is what the gov site says:

How to Submit your Passport

Applicants within India and Nepal who have been requested in writing by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to submit passports to a Canadian visa office in India are requested to use the services of VFS visa application centres to expedite processing. To submit your passport along with any accompanying documents, please contact the VFS branch nearest to you.

Applicants outside India or Nepal should be aware of Indian laws restricting sending of passports across international borders. You must either deposit your passport at a VFS office within India or Nepal (see instructions above) or send your passport by courier to the visa office. If you choose to send your passport by courier, you must provide a return mailing address within India or Nepal, as we cannot send passports to any other country, including Canada.

Please also be aware that passports submitted by courier or in person may be subject to significantly longer processing times.

So, does he travel to Delhi and submit it to a VFS office or does he submit it in person?

are you from india????

neerajbest

Jun 19, 2013
Family sponsor (wife and daughter)

I sponsored my family on Sept. 22, 2012.
Got approval to sponsor application on Dec 8, 2012
CHC(New Delhi) asked for passport on Feb. 9, 2013
Passport submitted on Feb 14, 2013
CHC(New Delhi) asked for some more papers on April 12, 2013
Papers submitted and reached on April 14, 2013

Still awaiting passports and PR VIsa any idea of time taken by CHC New Delhi. My daughter has received offer of admission from Canadian universities for fall 2013 and need passport and visa urgently. Can my wife and daughter go in person to CHC New Delhi for issuing PR Visa on priority? If no how can the CHC be contacted to expedite the process? Please help and reply on priority. Away from family for last 9 months.

Warmly

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Re: Family sponsor (wife and daughter)

neerajbest said:
I sponsored my family on Sept. 22, 2012.
Got approval to sponsor application on Dec 8, 2012
CHC(New Delhi) asked for passport on Feb. 9, 2013
Passport submitted on Feb 14, 2013
CHC(New Delhi) asked for some more papers on April 12, 2013
Papers submitted and reached on April 14, 2013

Still awaiting passports and PR VIsa any idea of time taken by CHC New Delhi. My daughter has received offer of admission from Canadian universities for fall 2013 and need passport and visa urgently. Can my wife and daughter go in person to CHC New Delhi for issuing PR Visa on priority? If no how can the CHC be contacted to expedite the process? Please help and reply on priority. Away from family for last 9 months.

Warmly
There is no such thing to request expedition that too at a time of strike, if they asked for more paperwork and you sent in April, that means they will reopen the file on the due date ( the date you were expected to send that extra paperwork ) - and after that, no one knows - considering other formalities are done

Best is order GCMS notes and see what's going on with the file, watch my video below to see how to

neerajbest

Jun 19, 2013
Thanks a ton. Is there a time limit beyond which CHC(New Delhi) has to return passports. My wife and daughter submitted their passports On Feb 14 and it has been over 4 months. Can I take some action.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
neerajbest said:
Thanks a ton. Is there a time limit beyond which CHC(New Delhi) has to return passports. My wife and daughter submitted their passports On Feb 14 and it has been over 4 months. Can I take some action.
No sir, in case of parents sponsorship - its very common to have passports retained for 8+ months
What you could have done is ask ND to request PP when all formalities are done, they might agree but that increase the process time

neerajbest

Jun 19, 2013
There seems to be some confusion. This is a family sponsor case. I have sponsored my wife and daughter. In this case also PP are retained for 8 months. Does ND not give consideration to admission offers and treat case on priority?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
neerajbest said:
There seems to be some confusion. This is a family sponsor case. I have sponsored my wife and daughter. In this case also PP are retained for 8 months. Does ND not give consideration to admission offers and treat case on priority?
Nope - no confusion.

ND requests passports at the very start of the process for family / spousal sponsorships. This means that sometimes they hold on to the passports for quite some time. They will give no consideration to admission offers - all applications are treated equally. Unfortunately it's unrealistic to expect expedite processing.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
neerajbest said:
I was trying to say that ND does keep passports for long time and folks like us who are sponsoring parents are very used to seeing it being kept for 6-8+ months. No doubt, spouse/daughter will be slightly quicker but then if its in process, then you have to wait
You could technically ask ND to give passport back but this will significantly delay your case for 2nd Passport request

maplegal86

Dec 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2012
File Transfer...
12-09-2012
Med's Request
07-06-2013
Med's Done....
16-05-2012. Remed: 10-06-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
11-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
12-08-2013
LANDED..........
01-09-2013
user828 said:
You could technically ask ND to give passport back but this will significantly delay your case for 2nd Passport request
My passport has been with Delhi for almost 8 months now. I'm being sponsored by my husband.

However I don't think asking for a passport back or a 2nd PPR will delay your case. They do not really need the passport for much other than retaining it 'so that when they are ready to issue the visa they can send it off quickly'. When they are ready to issue the visa, they put the sticker on it and send it your way.

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
maplegal86 said:
My passport has been with Delhi for almost 8 months now. I'm being sponsored by my husband.

However I don't think asking for a passport back or a 2nd PPR will delay your case. They do not really need the passport for much other than retaining it 'so that when they are ready to issue the visa they can send it off quickly'. When they are ready to issue the visa, they put the sticker on it and send it your way.
From the horses mouth - Delhi's reply to something similar about passport

When the processing of the application has reached the final review stage, we will send a second request letter. Once the applicant receives this letter, they must submit their passport by the date specified, failing which the application may be refused.

Please note that waiting for a second passport request will delay the completion of processing of the application.