+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

passport stamps translation

baimmeb

Nov 21, 2016
Calgary, AB
anyone submitted the translation along with their application package??? or just submitted all the passport pages and wait till they ask for translation??? i have stamps to non-english cuntries but with english states the country name /... do i still need translation?? will they return my application if i didnt submit translation along with my application?

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
anyone submitted the translation along with their application package??? or just submitted all the passport pages and wait till they ask for translation??? i have stamps to non-english cuntries but with english states the country name /... do i still need translation?? will they return my application if i didnt submit translation along with my application?
You don't submit your passport pages with your application. Just the biometric page. If they request your passport pages later, you will have to provide them. I suppose if your stamps include all the details (airport name, date, country ... etc) in English (possibly with another language), then you are probably fine.

Reactions: baimmeb

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
You don't submit your passport pages with your application. Just the biometric page. If they request your passport pages later, you will have to provide them. I suppose if your stamps include all the details (airport name, date, country ... etc) in English (possibly with another language), then you are probably fine.
You may need to check the requirement again, since June or July 2021 submitting all passport pages is now required not only the biometric page. the checklist CIT0007 also requires to translate anything that is not in English or French.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
You'll submit ALL the pages of the passport with your application. Plus, if something in the passport isn't in English or French, you'll have to translate that as well. The only exception I can think of is if the stamp is in a foreign language and English/French where all the text in the foreign language has an English/French equivalent, then you probably wouldn't have to get those stamps translated.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3
  • colour photocopy of all pages (valid or expired) of your passport(s) or travel document(s) during your (5) year eligibility period, including the biographical page which includes: name, photo, date and place of birth, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date.
    • If you do not have these documents or there is missing time between the validity dates of the travel documents, provide an explanation in question 14 on the application form.
Translation of documents
You must submit the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:

• the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if they’re not a certified translator); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
You may need to check the requirement again, since June or July 2021 submitting all passport pages is now required not only the biometric page. the checklist CIT0007 also requires to translate anything that is not in English or French.
That is indeed a significant and important-to-catch change in the document checklist and likewise in the Guide for making a grant citizenship application. Good on you; the forum should appreciate this.

Date of change as noted in the instruction guide was June 16 but as is typical these days, such changes often do not show up in the forms or instructions until days or weeks later. But it is there now. Including as you note, the requirement (even if poorly structured as it is stated in the checklist) to submit "colour photocopy of all pages" in the passport.

It is moreover an interesting change. Can think of numerous possibilities for why they have made this change, but all that would be speculation at this juncture.

It would be interesting if someone took the time and made the effort to submit an ATI request (not to be confused with the ATIP requests more often discussed in this forum, which are for personal records) for copies of internal IRCC memos, letters, statements, decisions, and so on, regarding this.

I suppose if your stamps include all the details (airport name, date, country ... etc) in English (possibly with another language), then you are probably fine.
There are many discussions in this forum about vagaries in enforcement of the requirement to provide a properly authenticated translation of stamps in passports. For example, I recently went into some depth contrasting the scope of the instruction/requirement (basically it is universal, anything not in an official language needs to be accompanied by a properly authenticated translation for any document submitted or presented to IRCC attendant just about any and every application, including citizenship) with the common anecdotal report that it was "fine" or "OK" to not include one; that was here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/request-letter-passport-copies.738496/#post-9557348

The instructions are clear: include a properly authenticated translation.

This is even more clear now that the instructions specifically state the applicant is to submit colour photocopies of ALL pages in the passport with the application itself, which is thus clearly covered by the overriding instruction near the end of the guide in regards to providing translations.

One might surmise the lax enforcement of this will continue, and as you say if the information is otherwise there and easily understood, the failure to include a translation might not trigger non-routine processing, not even a request for the translation. In the past, in many instances it was readily apparent that if it did not matter (that is, the processing agent was confident about the information as is), it would not matter the translation was not included (been there, benefitted from that).

BUT the fact this is now part of what is to be included in the application POTENTIALLY changes the context significantly. If the check-for-completeness screening, done when applications are first opened, includes screening to be (1) be sure passport copies are of all pages, and (2) that any information not in an official language is accompanied by a translation, failure to include a translation could result in the automatic return of the application as incomplete. We will have to wait to see anecdotal reporting to see how this goes . . . or here too, someone could take the time and make the effort to submit an ATI request (again, not to be confused with the ATIP requests more often discussed in this forum, which are for personal records) for copies of internal IRCC memos, letters, statements, decisions, and so on, regarding the completeness screening, that would be interesting and probably helpful information.

A GUESS: Generally I would avoid guessing about how things work, or will work, but given the odd structure of the statement instructing applicants to include all pages of the passport, but then explicitly stating to include the biographical pages, my GUESS is that for at least awhile IRCC will not be screening incoming applications and returning those not including more than the biographical pages, let alone not including translations. I do NOT offer this guess to suggest anyone test it or otherwise fail to follow the instructions. I mention it because I think we might see anecdotal reports saying it was OK or fine even though they failed to follow this instruction. It could be a mistake to rely on any such anecdotal reporting.

Reactions: Das67

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Oh, I didn't know this. That's a good change. They save applicants extra delay of sending them later.

baimmeb

Nov 21, 2016
Calgary, AB
oh i did submit all colored my passport pages as the new checklist requirements ,,,, and yes all my stamps with airport name, date, country in english and their owe language ... i guess im probbaly fine .. if they want they might request translation again right?

Reactions: kimi_pat

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
That is indeed a significant and important-to-catch change in the document checklist and likewise in the Guide for making a grant citizenship application. Good on you; the forum should appreciate this.

Date of change as noted in the instruction guide was June 16 but as is typical these days, such changes often do not show up in the forms or instructions until days or weeks later. But it is there now. Including as you note, the requirement (even if poorly structured as it is stated in the checklist) to submit "colour photocopy of all pages" in the passport.

It is moreover an interesting change. Can think of numerous possibilities for why they have made this change, but all that would be speculation at this juncture.

It would be interesting if someone took the time and made the effort to submit an ATI request (not to be confused with the ATIP requests more often discussed in this forum, which are for personal records) for copies of internal IRCC memos, letters, statements, decisions, and so on, regarding this.

There are many discussions in this forum about vagaries in enforcement of the requirement to provide a properly authenticated translation of stamps in passports. For example, I recently went into some depth contrasting the scope of the instruction/requirement (basically it is universal, anything not in an official language needs to be accompanied by a properly authenticated translation for any document submitted or presented to IRCC attendant just about any and every application, including citizenship) with the common anecdotal report that it was "fine" or "OK" to not include one; that was here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/request-letter-passport-copies.738496/#post-9557348

This is even more clear now that the instructions specifically state the applicant is to submit colour photocopies of ALL pages in the passport with the application itself, which is thus clearly covered by the overriding instruction near the end of the guide in regards to providing translations.

One might surmise the lax enforcement of this will continue, and as you say if the information is otherwise there and easily understood, the failure to include a translation might not trigger non-routine processing, not even a request for the translation. In the past, in many instances it was readily apparent that if it did not matter (that is, the processing agent was confident about the information as is), it would not matter the translation was not included (been there, benefitted from that).

BUT the fact this is now part of what is to be included in the application POTENTIALLY changes the context significantly. If the check-for-completeness screening, done when applications are first opened, includes screening to be (1) be sure passport copies are of all pages, and (2) that any information not in an official language is accompanied by a translation, failure to include a translation could result in the automatic return of the application as incomplete. We will have to wait to see anecdotal reporting to see how this goes . . . or here too, someone could take the time and make the effort to submit an ATI request (again, not to be confused with the ATIP requests more often discussed in this forum, which are for personal records) for copies of internal IRCC memos, letters, statements, decisions, and so on, regarding the completeness screening, that would be interesting and probably helpful information.

A GUESS: Generally I would avoid guessing about how things work, or will work, but given the odd structure of the statement instructing applicants to include all pages of the passport, but then explicitly stating to include the biographical pages, my GUESS is that for at least awhile IRCC will not be screening incoming applications and returning those not including more than the biographical pages, let alone not including translations. I do NOT offer this guess to suggest anyone test it or otherwise fail to follow the instructions. I mention it because I think we might see anecdotal reports saying it was OK or fine even though they failed to follow this instruction. It could be a mistake to rely on any such anecdotal reporting.
You give IRCC too much credit. They are not as organized as one expected from an important government agency. For example, even though the physical presence calculator no longer has a place for applicants to sign, the citizenship application form still instructs the applicant to submit a "signed copy of the physical presence calculator". Elsewhere, IRCC has clarified that the calculator no longer needs to be signed ...

• Haha
Reactions: im2kool

kimi_pat

Star Member
May 2, 2017
oh i did submit all colored my passport pages as the new checklist requirements ,,,, and yes all my stamps with airport name, date, country in english and their owe language ... i guess im probbaly fine .. if they want they might request translation again right?
Hi @baimmeb

Just a quick question - I am gonna submit my application soon. I have two passports (New & expired). When you mentioned you submitted all color copies, does it include blank pages in the passport too? Or just the pages with stamps? Thank you!

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
It seems that nowadays it's required to submit all pages of all your passports. I wasn't aware of this, and this wasn't the case when I submitted my application.

If they requested translation you could provide it to them then, but most likely you are fine.

baimmeb

Nov 21, 2016
Calgary, AB
Hi @baimmeb

Just a quick question - I am gonna submit my application soon. I have two passports (New & expired). When you mentioned you submitted all color copies, does it include blank pages in the passport too? Or just the pages with stamps? Thank you!
all pages,.. like everypage.... no matter its empty page or with expried stamps but i only submitted my old passport because its cover my 5 eligible years

baimmeb

Nov 21, 2016
Calgary, AB
It seems that nowadays it's required to submit all pages of all your passports. I wasn't aware of this, and this wasn't the case when I submitted my application.

If they requested translation you could provide it to them then, but most likely you are fine.
yeah i double checked my passport stamped pages they all with english states "departure" "admitted" and english country name on it ... i think i should be fine but ill prepare the translation in case they request ....

Reactions: CaBeaver

kimi_pat

Star Member
May 2, 2017
all pages,.. like everypage.... no matter its empty page or with expried stamps but i only submitted my old passport because its cover my 5 eligible years
Thank you sir,

My expired passport falls within 5 years and it has few stamps. My new passport is empty, but I will make sure to have color copies for empty pages too. Thank you! Appreciated your help!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
You give IRCC too much credit. They are not as organized as one expected from an important government agency. For example, even though the physical presence calculator no longer has a place for applicants to sign, the citizenship application form still instructs the applicant to submit a "signed copy of the physical presence calculator". Elsewhere, IRCC has clarified that the calculator no longer needs to be signed ...
Not clear what credit I was giving IRCC, let alone what was "too much credit."

Nonetheless, the instructions to include a translation for any information (document) that is not in an official language is probably the most repeated and clear instruction IRCC gives. Lax or less than uniform enforcement is a separate matter (common to many government rules, ranging from enforcement of speed limits on highways, to to less-than-completely-accurate tax filings, from local government building ordinances, to the PR Residency Obligation), which I and others have oft addressed, including in regards to requiring translations for passport stamps.

Nonetheless, the instruction itself is clear. No credit to IRCC necessary. Just acknowledging what the instructions state.

And now the instructions, and the checklist, are clear about at least the fact that the applicant is instructed to include ALL pages of passports WITH the application. Again, no credit to IRCC necessary. Just acknowledging what the instructions state. Even recognizing the somewhat odd structure in how this is stated (referencing the further instruction that this includes the bio-pages), it is amply clear that the applicant is instructed to include ALL pages of passports WITH the application.

(This does add considerably to the volume of paper to be submitted with the application, which is contrary to trends to reduce paperwork generally. But for now, going forward for now, that's what IRCC has specified is necessary to make a complete application.)

MrChazz

May 4, 2021

Sigh. Another 10,000 word essay to say something very simple: "Include copies, in color, of all pages of the passport, and have authenticated translations of stamps that are not in English or French." Or even simpler: "Strictly follow the given instructions."

Glad I could help!