+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport stamping for permanent residents and foreign nationals

Discussion in 'Permanent Residency Obligations' started by jetsons, Jul 28, 2019.

  1. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pik-bip-eng.html?wbdisable=true
    Passport stamping for permanent residents and foreign nationals

    • The CBSA no longer stamps all passports at airports with Primary Inspection Kiosks.
    • If you need a stamp in your passport as a proof of entry into Canada you must request a stamp from a border services officer after completing a kiosk transaction.
    • If your passport is not stamped, you are only authorized to stay in Canada for up to 6 months from the day you initially entered Canada, or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
    • If the border services officer authorizes a period of stay of some other duration, either more or less than 6 months, the officer may issue you a document and should stamp your passport indicating the date by which you must leave Canada.
    I am a PR and after reading the above, I am confused.Is the 6 month thing applicable for PR as well?
  2. No. Permanent means exactly that. There are no restrictions on your time in Canada.
    jetsons likes this.
  3. thankyou ... i thought so... that the 6 month thing should probably be for visitor
  4. If I am a returning PR entered by land through the US border, can I request the officer to stamp on my passport so that I have an entering date proof for applying the provincial insurance 3 months later. Or they only stamp on visitors' passport?

Share This Page