+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport stamp pages required or not

atif_r0x

Star Member
Jun 18, 2016
Hi,
My PR will be expire next year and I am thinking to renew my PR and not yet completed 1095 days but completed 730 days so right now I am just thinking to apply for renewal. My question is that do we really need to show stamped pages on passport when we entered Canada first time/second time or when we exit Canada for vacations, however I remember entry/exit dates and i had only one trip outside Canada for 640 days since I became PR. The problem is that my passport is not with me right now as I applied visa for another country and my passport is submitted to that country's embassy. Can I still apply for PR renewal online without entry/exit stamps?

Also for PR renewal do I need PCC for the duration I was outside Canada (More than 6 month) or just required at citizenship stage.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Can anyone response please.
As @armoured notes, the instructions themselves, which the PR absolutely should read and follow, and which are mostly straight-forward, should easily answer your question.

The instructions for what to include with a PR card application, as supporting documents showing the PR meets the Residency Obligation, are in the appendix to the guide, which is here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-gender-identifier.html#appendixA

However, what needs to be included is NOT the same for all PRs.

Generally a PR meeting the RO based on actual presence in Canada will NOT need to include copy of all passport pages. Some PRs may, such as those relying on credit for days outside Canada accompanying a citizen spouse (which will require submission of passports for both the PR and the spouse).

PRs meeting Residency Obligation based on actual presence in Canada:

The instructions are straight-forward for a PR who meets the RO based on actual presence IN Canada, that is any PR for whom the total number of days outside Canada, as calculated in the chart in question 5.5, does not exceed 1095 days. And it should be easy for any such PR: just 2 pieces of evidence that show residency. That's it. Two documents which show:
-- the PR's residential address in Canada, or​
-- show employment in Canada, or​
-- show activity in Canada consistent with residing in Canada​

One example among scores and scores of possibilities: a copy of one year NoA from CRA plus a copy of provincial health card.

The guide appendix lists numerous examples. These include
-- bank statements, rental agreements, CRA documents (documents showing the PR's residential address in Canada)​
-- employment records or pay stubs (documents showing employment in Canada)​
-- evidence of government benefits (like health card), club memberships (documents showing activity in Canada consistent with residing in Canada)​

Just two items . . . just two pieces of evidence of residency.

Other PRs (not meeting RO based on actual presence):

If the PR does not meet the RO based on days actually present in Canada (such as a PR relying on credit for days outside Canada in the employ of a Canadian business, or a PR relying on a H&C waiver), it is more complex and involves providing more documents. See the guide for particular instructions depending on the PR's situation, depending on which exception applies.

Should PR submit Better Evidence? For PRs meeting RO based on actual presence . . .

Not all evidence is created equal. Some is better (stronger, carries more weight). Should a PR be concerned about the quality and strength of the evidence they submit with the PR card application?

Good idea to use common sense. Bears repeating: Good idea to use common sense.

That said, any two pieces of evidence of residency will suffice to make a complete application. And there has been no hint it matters UNLESS for some reason IRCC has concerns about the completeness and accuracy of the travel history showing the PR meets the RO based on actual presence.

Reminder: For the PR who meets the RO based on actual presence, the primary proof of meeting the RO is the complete and accurate travel history detailed in the chart in question 5.5. Beyond that, the next biggest factor (in most situations) is whether the PR is currently well settled and living PERMANENTLY in Canada and whether that is how it appears as well.

So, for a PR who is objectively confident they clearly meet the RO and that is reflected in the information submitted in conjunction with information IRCC has otherwise (GCMS and CBSA records), which particular supporting documents are submitted should not matter (assuming, of course, what is submitted is evidence of residency during a period of time the PR was actually, IN FACT, residing in Canada).

In contrast, for a PR who has reason to apprehend IRCC might have concerns, the quality or weight of the evidence submitted might make a difference. It might (emphasis on "might") make a difference, for example, if instead of a copy of a gym membership the PR submits a bank statement not only showing the PR's address in Canada but also displaying a number of transactions consistent with presence and residence in Canada.

HOWEVER, going to why "might" in this context warrants emphasis, generally PR card applications are completely processed upon opening and soon approved, except those applications raising concerns or questions which are separated into a processing stream for complex cases. The strength of the supporting documents may have some influence in which way it goes, but the odds are that is NOT much influence. In contrast, other information and circumstances will have far more influence in determining which applications are not promptly processed and approved, but rather directed into processing for complex cases (which might involve requests for additional documents, proof of RO compliance).

That is, for those cutting-it-close, or those who are not clearly settled and living in Canada permanently, or those whose travel history (question 5.5) raises questions (if inconsistent with CBSA travel history records for example), among other potential reasons to question residency, submitting stronger supporting evidence with the application is not likely to change how IRCC handles the application, not likely to save it from complex case processing.