+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport sent to Seattle

Pablowski

Nov 26, 2012
Hi - I recently received an email that my PR application had been approved and I mailed a copy of my passport (Visa exempt country) and my fee to Seattle along with the requested envelopes for return to the US.

CEC Application made Oct 2011

I can see from my mail receipts that they have received the file (Nov 13th) and I have until Dec 11th to enter Canada. They have not started to send the package back to me and I cannot call them by phone - do i just sit and wait. Do I need to wait for these documents to return to enter Canada? Im stressing about booking travel and also falling at the final hurdle - any help appreciated??

Pabbers

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Pablowski said:
Hi - I recently received an email that my PR application had been approved and I mailed a copy of my passport (Visa exempt country) and my fee to Seattle along with the requested envelopes for return to the US.

CEC Application made Oct 2011

I can see from my mail receipts that they have received the file (Nov 13th) and I have until Dec 11th to enter Canada. They have not started to send the package back to me and I cannot call them by phone - do i just sit and wait. Do I need to wait for these documents to return to enter Canada? Im stressing about booking travel and also falling at the final hurdle - any help appreciated??

Pabbers
Why do you only have until December 11 to enter Canada?

If it's because that's the expiration of your medicals, note that they can extend them anyway (they have the option to request an extension) and thus the deadline for your COPR (no visa in your case, just an 8.5" x 14" piece of plain paper).

Note that according to OP 1 they have to give you at least two months to land:

5.28. Extending the validity of visas

The validity of a permanent resident visa may not be extended. Nor can replacement visas be issued with a new validity date. If foreign nationals do not use their visas, they must make a new application for a permanent residence visa. They must also pay a new application processing fee. If they have paid a right of permanent resident fee (RPRF), they do not need to pay it again. The RPRF may be collected only once.

Sometimes, due to factors beyond their control, applicants receive visas that are valid for less than two months. If they cannot travel before their visas expire, officers should update whichever requirement (e.g., medical) was used to set the visa validity. When a new validity date has been obtained, a new visa will be issued.
So if you REALLY do not have enough time to land you can push back on them. From what I can tell, Seattle takes about a month to issue the COPR generally.

Pablowski

Nov 26, 2012
Thank you!! :)

The Dec 11th date is the expiration of my medical. I returned the documents to them on Nov 13th (actually delivered in Seattle Nov 13th after receiving the email Oct 20th). I am now waiting for them to send them back...the return envelope looks like it has not been sent yet via USPS site.

I have sent an email and filled in the form to them explaining that I have a sense of urgency...but I just get the auto-respond and obviously I cannot call. How can I alert them that I may need an extension??

Thanks
P

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Pablowski said:
Thank you!! :)

The Dec 11th date is the expiration of my medical. I returned the documents to them on Nov 13th (actually delivered in Seattle Nov 13th after receiving the email Oct 20th). I am now waiting for them to send them back...the return envelope looks like it has not been sent yet via USPS site.

I have sent an email and filled in the form to them explaining that I have a sense of urgency...but I just get the auto-respond and obviously I cannot call. How can I alert them that I may need an extension??
You don't. They'll know. That's their JOB to know (and the computer would remind them at this point). In fact, if they have to ask the IMS folks to issue a new medical opinion on your file it might take an extra two weeks. The one downside I've seen to the scanned passport thing is that it seems to take them LONGER - I got LA to turn mine around in 10 days time. They asked for the actual passport, which I included and also included a copy of my itinerary for flights to the US (I was to appear as a witness in trial in the US). 10 days after they received my passport they sent it back. I'm fairly sure that if it had been a copy they'd have taken an extra month.

I had an application with Seattle and I know they do look at the e-mails, but it takes a couple WEEKS before you get a real response. Oddly, I am fond of Seattle - the only time I've ever spoken to a VO (she called me and later e-mailed me.)

Pablowski

Nov 26, 2012
@computergeek - I just received an email that they are filing for an extension to my medical and I will have plenty of time to land in Canada. Should expect to hear more in 3-4 weeks.

:) :) :)

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Pablowski said:
@ computergeek - I just received an email that they are filing for an extension to my medical and I will have plenty of time to land in Canada. Should expect to hear more in 3-4 weeks.

:) :) :)
It's so easy to overthink the immigration process.... But it sounds like you're almost done - and you will likely have almost a year to land!