+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport seize by Canadian Border agency

User77

Apr 10, 2019
Hi i have a question regarding passport seize by border agency.
Me and my girlfriend Visited border for spouse work permt but denied.
We married in canada the month she arrived . She came on study visa and we did withdrawal from college and course fees was refunded.
But everything went wrong when they seized passport of her, and advised us to wait for the letter( Hearing).
Any help or advice what might happen.
If anyone went through same situation.
Please share your experiences.
Recommendations for Experienced immigration lawyer.
Thanks
Please help me

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Not really enough information to provide any advice. What’s your status in Canada (citizen, PR, ?). How long had she been here before you did your border run? Sounds like CBSA decided she wasn’t entitled to a SOWP and because she wasn’t a student, she was in violation of her visa requirements.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We married in canada the month she arrived . She came on study visa and we did withdrawal from college and course fees was refunded.
But everything went wrong when they seized passport of her, and advised us to wait for the letter( Hearing).
Thanks
Please help me
At this point you need to be working with an immigration lawyer. Depending on when she withdrew from school, she may already be in Canada without status.

Also the fact she came to Canada on a study permit but didn't study makes it look like she abused the visa process.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thanks
Please help me
You are obviously going to need a very good lawyer. In layman's terms, she went thru the process of applying for a student visa, wrote her sop, saying she would leave Canada at the end of her education, etc, etc etc. She gets approved for her "student visa", immediately upon arrival, even prior to attending said college, she cancels her admission to the college, requests a refund, then gets married the month she arrives, which in immigration time frame is basically immediately. So the "appearance" to the CBSA is that she never intended to go to college here in the first place, she was using the student visa process to gain entry into Canada, marry you, and stay her permanently, and start working, versus dong it the correct way of you meeting her where ever she lived, getting married there and starting the out land sponsorship for your spouse. The government does not appreciate it when people abuse the system, and basically not tell them the true intentions when coming to Canada. The true intentions it sounds like, was to get married in the end and never go to college.
This forum is sponsored by a immigration firm, maybe start by contacting them. Only a click away, or call them directly their number is a the top left of this page.
Good luck

Last edited:

User77

Apr 10, 2019
Not really enough information to provide any advice. What’s your status in Canada (citizen, PR, ?). How long had she been here before you did your border run? Sounds like CBSA decided she wasn’t entitled to a SOWP and because she wasn’t a student, she was in violation of her visa requirements.
My status in canada Open Work Permit. She landed in January and we visited border in march.