+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

passport request

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abedelia said:
Thanks for your kind words everyone, I am annoyed with this because I need my passport to travel for work but I should also count myself lucky that my PR application went smoothly and I'm almost done!!!! :D

Onthemove, my PPR letter said that I have 60 days to send in my passport. I am not sure if this is the case every time but mine went to the NYC office and that is what the letter said. I feel lucky that I have so much time because I had to delay for about a month because of a trip that I had to go on. I will send it in on Monday and I guess I won't be traveling anywhere until I get it back. It should be quick but the fact that I don't know when I get it back means that I can't really make any plans. One good thing that I'm glad I did was when I renewed my passport, I also got a passport card. Supposedly you can't fly using it but you can drive across the border, so that is a way for me to travel if I really need to.

It is amazing how long you have to wait to get notified that they have your application, but once they start moving on it, if all goes smoothly, it can get done quickly. Good luck everyone!! See you in Canada!!!!!!
Dear friend,
If your passport is so important to you, why can't you just go to NY to get the visa stamped the same day? Print your ppr, have your passport with two passport pictures with you and go to NY in the morning, you will get your visa in an hour. Do not send your passport take one day off and go and get it...
Cheers,

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
beauhoe said:
Dear friend,
If your passport is so important to you, why can't you just go to NY to get the visa stamped the same day? Print your ppr, have your passport with two passport pictures with you and go to NY in the morning, you will get your visa in an hour. Do not send your passport take one day off and go and get it...
Cheers,
From what I have read, NY does not accept in person PP drop-offs, only via mail.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
beauhoe said:
What? That is new to me my friend...
Yeah, don't quote me...I just think I remember seeing something about that...I might be wrong :p

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CharlieD10 said:
Yeah, don't quote me...I just think I remember seeing something about that...I might be wrong :p
I got you! You can also send somebody to go and get you the visa if you are busy.

OnTheMove

Star Member
Jun 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NYC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 6, 2010
AOR Received.
June 7, 2010
File Transfer...
July 20, 2010
Med's Done....
March 18, 2010
Passport Req..
received Sept 13th
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 28
LANDED..........
Oct 31
I hear you abedelia about your passport. Some people on this forum just don't get that some of us have lives and plans. I don't live for the purpose of getting my PPR. ....But the NYC office screwed me over worse than you! They have only given me 30 days to send my passport and by the time I received the letter from them I only had some 25 days. I have an overseas trip coming up, so I had 2 choice either ask them to extend the deadline or send the passport in and ask for a speedy return. I did the latter. I emailed them them begging them to send me my passport back in time, but you never know what they are going to do :(

And the people who think one can go to the NYC office and get a passport stamp, that is bogus. You can only mail the passport in.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
OnTheMove said:
And the people who think one can go to the NYC office and get a passport stamp, that is bogus. You can only mail the passport in.
Thought so. Thanks!

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OnTheMove said:
I hear you abedelia about your passport. Some people on this forum just don't get that some of us have lives and plans. I don't live for the purpose of getting my PPR. ....But the NYC office screwed me over worse than you! They have only given me 30 days to send my passport and by the time I received the letter from them I only had some 25 days. I have an overseas trip coming up, so I had 2 choice either ask them to extend the deadline or send the passport in and ask for a speedy return. I did the latter. I emailed them them begging them to send me my passport back in time, but you never know what they are going to do :(

There is something that we all call respect. I respect you for who you are and what you are posting and I am just asking you to give me one reference showing that you cannot go to NY to get your visa stamped or is it also bogus...

OnTheMove

Star Member
Jun 17, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
NYC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 6, 2010
AOR Received.
June 7, 2010
File Transfer...
July 20, 2010
Med's Done....
March 18, 2010
Passport Req..
received Sept 13th
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 28
LANDED..........
Oct 31
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/new_york/imm/general_info-rens_generaux.aspx?lang=eng

Immigrants
Approved Applicants for Permanent Residence

Submissions of passports are only accepted by mail. Passports are returned by mail within 30 business days. This does not include mailing time.

For mailing instructions, please click here.

britincanada

Apr 15, 2010
Hamilton Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2010
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
31-07-2010
File Transfer...
29-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-03-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2010
LANDED..........
29-09-2010
abedelia said:
I've received the request to mail in my passport to the consulate in NYC. I travel between the US and Canada frequently for work and I am going to have a hard time parting with my passport for the 30 days they say they will take to get it back to me with a visa... not only because I need to travel but also because I need to plan travel, etc. which I can't do without knowing when I'll get it back. I don't understand how they can expect you to part with your passport for a month!

I'm hoping this is the final aggravation in this ridiculous process.
Congrats on your passport request and hope you get your passport back in a timely fashion..They usually say 4-6 weeks as this is the average timeline for your passport..however many people get their passports back within a few weeks..I have been without mine coming up to 3 weeks now...