+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport request- why is it waived for some people?

oconnoec

Star Member
Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Medical
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
July 16, 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
April 13, 2014
LANDED..........
Already in canada on temp work visa... hopefully PR landing soon!
Question for someone out there:

I have looked on some of the feeds and spreadsheets and it looks like some people have to submit their passport when requested while others have had this step waived in the process. Does anyone know why they physically need the passport? Is it for those people who need a visitor visa to visit Canada?

Just curious- thanks in advance!

Graihn

Jul 15, 2013
Kitchener-Waterloo
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 22 2014
File Transfer...
Feb 22 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Oct 1 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 12 2014
oconnoec said:
Question for someone out there:

I have looked on some of the feeds and spreadsheets and it looks like some people have to submit their passport when requested while others have had this step waived in the process. Does anyone know why they physically need the passport? Is it for those people who need a visitor visa to visit Canada?

Just curious- thanks in advance!
Visa exempt = exempt to get a visa to visit Canada, and no need to get the visa attached to their passport in order to even leave for Canada.

oconnoec

Star Member
Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Medical
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
July 16, 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
April 13, 2014
LANDED..........
Graihn said:
Visa exempt = exempt to get a visa to visit Canada, and no need to get the visa attached to their passport in order to even leave for Canada.
Okay, so as an American, I don't need to have a visa to visit Canada. Are you saying that I will not have to submit my passport and that the CPC will just send a COPR when everything is processed? Sorry to be confusing! Thanks

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
oconnoec said:
Okay, so as an American, I don't need to have a visa to visit Canada. Are you saying that I will not have to submit my passport and that the CPC will just send a COPR when everything is processed? Sorry to be confusing! Thanks
not quite. as you are visa exempt, you will not need to physically send your passport. IF you get a passport request, then all that will be required is a scanned copy emailed to the visa office. For some visa exempt applicants, the PPR is waived. My theory is that those people either a) are not likely to change their name for marriage (ie: men) or already have and/or b) the passport has a validity date beyond 6 months. Of course this is all speculation, though it makes sense and the "trend" seems to suggest it. I am a female, have not changed my name yet, and I received a passport request. Other applicants known to be men had their ppr waived.

oconnoec

Star Member
Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Medical
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
July 16, 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
April 13, 2014
LANDED..........
rhcohen2014 said:
not quite. as you are visa exempt, you will not need to physically send your passport. IF you get a passport request, then all that will be required is a scanned copy emailed to the visa office. For some visa exempt applicants, the PPR is waived. My theory is that those people either a) are not likely to change their name for marriage (ie: men) or already have and/or b) the passport has a validity date beyond 6 months. Of course this is all speculation, though it makes sense and the "trend" seems to suggest it. I am a female, have not changed my name yet, and I received a passport request. Other applicants known to be men had their ppr waived.
got it. thank you!