+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport request: very confused about where to send and fees

cryptic0

Star Member
Apr 28, 2015
I am updating my post. Most recent information is here. Original post at the bottom.

Indian national resident in the US on F1 visa
Applied for TRV on April 28
Passport requested by consulate on May 25

According to cic.gc.ca/submit:

The passport is to be sent to: VAC NY, 290 Madison Ave
Additional docs: passport request letter from cic, applicable VAC fees (passport transmission fees), consent form, and return prepaid label.

After reading the VAC website (csc-cvac.com/en-US/selfservice/cvac_application_processing), under the Visa Application Fee header, it refers to the fee schedule on CIC's website. This fee schedule only shows the $100CAD TRV fee which I have already paid. I don't need biometrics as an Indian national. So then, which application fee is VAC talking about?

Moreover, what the difference between VAC application fee and the VAC service charge? I did not use VAC to apply for the visa.

I would appreciate any help.

--------------------------- original post ---------------
Got some good news today. A decision has been reached and my passport has been requested. I went on cic.gc.ca/submit to find the address to ship the passport to, but it refers to the VAC website for more details. The VAC website is extremely confusing and at times they contradict themselves. I tried calling them but the recorded messages are even more confusing.

Does anyone know the process?

1. Where to send the passport?
2. Should I include a prepaid fedex waybill and envelope for return of passport?
3. Is there a fee?
4. Is VAC part of the CIC or is it just a business whose services are optional?

At one place VAC website mentions you must include a prepaid return envelope. In the very next paragraph they state, fedex prepaid labels will not be accepted. Isn't that contradictory?

I thought the Indian passport renewal system was complex, but this one tops it easily. Can someone help out here? Thanks.

p.s I am in the United States (New York consulate)

cuongptnk

May 14, 2015
Not sure where you are applying.
I renew my Visa from inside Canada in April. Since i already have a study permit, the instruction on the VAC website instructs me to send the passport to an address in Ottawa. Canada Post Express is the best choice. I also include a prepaid envelop to get the returned passport.

NYCruiser

Jun 19, 2015
I hope I can help here. I too have applied for a Visitors Visa to visit Canada from the New York Area.

I think I am above average intelligence (with a PhD)...however, this process either from the CIC OR the VAC was one heck of a confusing process. I am not sure WHO wrote the instructions for sending in your passport AFTER approval from the CIC website, but it appears to be written by a third grader...confusing, rambling and idiotic...

In addition, when you call their call center, the morons on the phone give you wrong information!! To wit....They tell you to MAIL your check (certified or money order only) for the VAC fee to Salt Late City with your name and phone number, THEN send or bring in your passport and approval (I think) letter from the CIC. Mind you the letter from CIC telling you to bring your passport to VAC doesnt even say you are approved or pre-approved!!. Actually you should send the money order WITH the passport to the VAC or bring it together.

The process once at CIC is pretty fast, though they tell you it might take 30 BUSINESS days to process the sticker in the passport..I suppose the lazy bureaucrats at the Consulate are too tired to take shorter...jeesh!!