+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Request Letter Confusion

pepa88

Oct 24, 2019
Hi all!
I recently received the Passport Request Letter for PR. I am the main applicant and my spouse is the dependant. I require a visa to enter Canada so I know I need to send my passport to the VAC but my husband is from a different nationality and he doesn't need a visa to enter Canada. So I am a bit confused about what to submit. Both passports? Just mine?
The information in the Passport Request Letter is a bit contradictory.

If you require a visa to enter Canada, then submit your passport(s):
 Please provide your valid passport or travel document and a valid passport or travel
document for each accompanying family member. An accompanying family member
must have his or her own passport or travel document.

If you do not require a visa to enter Canada:
 Please submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing
amendments of the valid passport for you and one for each accompanying family
member .

Any help would be appreciated.

Reactions: Tufail Ahmad

pepa88

Oct 24, 2019
Your physical passport, his photocopy
Thanks for the quick response! =)

Can you clarify why they include this bit "valid passport or travel document for each accompanying family member."?

Is the depedant not considered an "accompanying family member"?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Thanks for the quick response! =)

Can you clarify why they include this bit "valid passport or travel document for each accompanying family member."?

Is the depedant not considered an "accompanying family member"?
Yes I see where your confusion comes from. The letter isn't worded clearly for cases where a couple hold different nationalities.
Your husband just needs to send a photocopy.

Aaqil1

Nov 10, 2018
Hi All

I became a permanent resident in Canada last year, but for my accompanying children, I have not yet got their passport request from the embassy. My question is how long does it take to get passport request? Now it has taken three months I became a permanent resident, I have sent the email and web form asking them about this issue but no response about their visa's.

Any help would be appreciated

Kind regards

Last edited: