+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport renewed after receiving COPR - Landing in March 2018

nikunjmahajan

Mar 18, 2017
I received my COPR in Sept 2017. My passport was valid only till May 2018 and my last day to land is in May 2018. I have renewed my passport now. My Visa is on the old passport. Will there be an issue in landing in Canada and is there any implication on the PR status. Do I need to notify any official authority about the passport renewal? If yes, pls provide details.

noscaf2014

Nov 2, 2016
No issues. No need to inform anyone about it. Just make sure to carry both passports when you land. Good luck!

prerna4rishav

Apr 21, 2017
I am on the same boat. I have renewed my son's passport who is a dependent applicant of mine (primary applicant). He holds USA passport hence no visa stamped on his passport but his COPR is issued with old passport details. Here everywhere I read if we travel with both old and new passports, it won't be an issue, however, just came across the below post in this website.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/passport-renewal-after-pr-visa-stamped-in-old-passport-before-landing.229577/

Dear Borad Members,

I thought of sharing this with all, since this might help others who are planning to renew passport after PR visa and COPR letter. As per CPC-Ottawa you have to resubmit your new passport and COPR to visa office to get new COPR and visa stamped in new passport. Below is the response I got from CPC-Ottawa when I sent my new passport details to them before landing after COPR.

The passport in which your visa was issued is no longer valid for travel because you have acquired a new passport.

Because the Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) was issued with the details of your older passport, it cannot be used for travel. Since you and your spouse are part of the same application, both COPRs will have to be re-printed.

You and your spouse will need to return your original COPR forms, either to the High Commission in New Delhi or to our office (if you each have your own COPRs, you may both return them separately to the most convenient office). We cannot print your new COPRS without the initial COPRs.
Can anyone please confirm if they have landed successfully with such scenario so that for once we get confirmation that if travelled with both passports, it won't be an issue.

jpan5

May 1, 2018
I am on the same boat. I have renewed my son's passport who is a dependent applicant of mine (primary applicant). He holds USA passport hence no visa stamped on his passport but his COPR is issued with old passport details. Here everywhere I read if we travel with both old and new passports, it won't be an issue, however, just came across the below post in this website.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/passport-renewal-after-pr-visa-stamped-in-old-passport-before-landing.229577/

Can anyone please confirm if they have landed successfully with such scenario so that for once we get confirmation that if travelled with both passports, it won't be an issue.

Hi prerna4rishav, Can you confirm whether you have travelled with 2 Passports or if you have sent your new passport in for reissue of PR Visa Stamp/COPR?

Thanks!

Scorpion555

Jun 11, 2017
Hi prerna4rishav, Can you confirm whether you have travelled with 2 Passports or if you have sent your new passport in for reissue of PR Visa Stamp/COPR?

Thanks!
No issues in traveling with old and new passport, just ensure that in your new Passport apart from the new passport number every other info matches with the old passport else you MAY have to explain the differences and in that case I suggest a replacement visa

Also, NEVER forget to carry both old and new passports, best is to staple them or attach with rubber bands together

anshu9490

Jun 9, 2018
I received my COPR in Sept 2017. My passport was valid only till May 2018 and my last day to land is in May 2018. I have renewed my passport now. My Visa is on the old passport. Will there be an issue in landing in Canada and is there any implication on the PR status. Do I need to notify any official authority about the passport renewal? If yes, pls provide details.
Did you face issue while landing with New Passport. I'm in same trouble. Need to renew passport. Let me know what is the procedure you followed.

Thanks
Anshu

Asad_joe

Dec 26, 2015
i have renewed my passport having visa and every thing is same will it be ok if take both passport wont face any issue? do i need to inform CIC

Scorpion555

Jun 11, 2017
i have renewed my passport having visa and every thing is same will it be ok if take both passport wont face any issue? do i need to inform CIC
Absolutely no issues - Carry both the passports. Airline, Immigration officers at your country's airport and Canada wont even bother. You just need to have a Valid visa. Raise a CSE informing CIC about your new passport details. Scan all pages of new passport <4 MB size and submit. Thats it. Bon Voyage

Asad_joe

Dec 26, 2015
Hey thanx for relpy do you know anyone with the same issue and secondly is it important to raise issue with CSE?
Absolutely no issues - Carry both the passports. Airline, Immigration officers at your country's airport and Canada wont even bother. You just need to have a Valid visa. Raise a CSE informing CIC about your new passport details. Scan all pages of new passport <4 MB size and submit. Thats it. Bon Voyage

Scorpion555

Jun 11, 2017
Hey thanx for relpy do you know anyone with the same issue and secondly is it important to raise issue with CSE?
I have been through the same. Raising a CSE form attaching all pages of your passport is the best approach, note that its not mandatory, its just what I did. Also its always better to keep CIC posted on any changes

jinu22j

Feb 19, 2018
hope you haVE landed without an issue.. my question is regarding your PR card.
Have u received PR cards ? how long it takes these days.. we have landed on 21st May 2018. and waiting for PR card. I need to travel to canada again in august last week. I wish we could get it before that.

Anybody else has an experience of delayed PR cards.? say, more than 90 days of waiting.on aug 21 iwill complete 90 days after landing)

divyanaveenan

Apr 9, 2018

Hey so what did you finally do? did you have to inform anyone or you traveled with 2 passports?

gintu

May 9, 2018
I was in a similar situation and sent an email to Delhi immigration regarding this. I was asked to submit the new, old passports and copr through vfs after making the payment for document replacement. My application status which was 'final decision is made' changed to 'application in progress'.

Reactions: brij patel

daris25

Champion Member
May 10, 2015
ONTARIO
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-08-2017
Nomination.....
17-04-2018
AOR Received.
27-07-2018
File Transfer...
01-04-2019
Med's Request
17-06-2019
Med's Done....
21-06-2019
Passport Req..
04-07-2019
I am also facing this issue , as per many conversations it is not a matter, we have to hold both passports , any suggestions