+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Renewal | Parent's surname discrepancy

Vengayam

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
@legalfalcon

I hope this message finds you well.

I'm planning to renew my passport as it expires in few months (less than 6 months). There is a discrepancy with my father's name on my passport in which my father's surname is not present in my current passport, but, only the first name is present.

Also, in my Indian PCC, only my father's first name is present not the surname and non of my documents has father's surname.

Now, will there be a problem if I add their surname while renewing my passport?

fyi, Only In my eAPR, I have added my parent's surname / full name (which is Rahul Sexana).

examples:

My current passport:
Father's name:
Rahul
Mother's name:
Lakshmi
------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Passport (If I include):
Father's name:
Rahul Sexana
Mother's name:
Lakshmi Rahul

I'm slightly confused on this, do I need include my parent's surname in my new passport or keep as it is like my current passport (without surname)?

Please advice

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon

I hope this message finds you well.

I'm planning to renew my passport as it expires in few months (less than 6 months). There is a discrepancy with my father's name on my passport in which my father's surname is not present in my current passport, but, only the first name is present.

Also, in my Indian PCC, only my father's first name is present not the surname and non of my documents has father's surname.

Now, will there be a problem if I add their surname while renewing my passport?

fyi, Only In my eAPR, I have added my parent's surname / full name (which is Rahul Sexana).

examples:

My current passport:
Father's name:
Rahul
Mother's name:
Lakshmi
------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Passport (If I include):
Father's name:
Rahul Sexana
Mother's name:
Lakshmi Rahul

I'm slightly confused on this, do I need include my parent's surname in my new passport or keep as it is like my current passport (without surname)?

Please advice
The passport is your identity document and is used to confirm your details, such as your dob, name etc. even though for Indian citizens the passport has your parents name, but other countries, such as Canada, do not and it would not matter that your parents name has changed. Also, if you do get it changed in your passport, it is immaterial.

What will matter is that when you mention your parents name in your application, it will be verified later if your parents are sponsored by your or apply for a super visa. This is when their name as it appears in their passport and your passport will matter.

Vengayam

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
The passport is your identity document and is used to confirm your details, such as your dob, name etc. even though for Indian citizens the passport has your parents name, but other countries, such as Canada, do not and it would not matter that your parents name has changed. Also, if you do get it changed in your passport, it is immaterial.

What will matter is that when you mention your parents name in your application, it will be verified later if your parents are sponsored by your or apply for a super visa. This is when their name as it appears in their passport and your passport will matter.
Thank you so much @legalfalcon . I'll include my parent's surname on my new passport and submit using with the webform. Appreciate your response !!

Reactions: legalfalcon

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
@legalfalcon, hope you can help me too!
My AOR is August 1st, 2020. waiting for the news of CoPR. As per the GCMS notes of 20th Jan, security and BCG still pending.
My questions is: In my passport Surname is empty and Given name I have AAA BBB CCC.
While applying my agent has updated the Surname as AAA BBB CCC and Given name too as AAA BBB CCC. He said we can't leave Surname empty. When I gave my BIO the agent has updated my name as AAA BBB CCC AAA BBB CCC.
I have renewed my SIN, it has has my name appearing twice.
I'm planning to get my name separated by renewing my passport, I spoke to BLS, they said They can separate the Surname AS AAA BBB and Given Name as CCC. Then, take this passport to service canada and ask them to update my name?
Do you think I should do this now, or once I get my CoPR I should do this?
Not sure after PR service canada changes name?
I'm afraid that this repeating of the name will appear every where!
Please suggest me a work around.
Thanks in Advance.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon, hope you can help me too!
My AOR is August 1st, 2020. waiting for the news of CoPR. As per the GCMS notes of 20th Jan, security and BCG still pending.
My questions is: In my passport Surname is empty and Given name I have AAA BBB CCC.
While applying my agent has updated the Surname as AAA BBB CCC and Given name too as AAA BBB CCC. He said we can't leave Surname empty. When I gave my BIO the agent has updated my name as AAA BBB CCC AAA BBB CCC.
I have renewed my SIN, it has has my name appearing twice.
I'm planning to get my name separated by renewing my passport, I spoke to BLS, they said They can separate the Surname AS AAA BBB and Given Name as CCC. Then, take this passport to service canada and ask them to update my name?
Do you think I should do this now, or once I get my CoPR I should do this?
Not sure after PR service canada changes name?
I'm afraid that this repeating of the name will appear every where!
Please suggest me a work around.
Thanks in Advance.
If you intend to get your name changed in your passport, do it now and update it with IRCC. If your COPR is issued, your PR card too will have the same name and so will all documents after that.

To change your name after your PR card and other documents have it, you will have to go through the name change process of the province you are in addition to your passport.

Reactions: Cannnada

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
If you intend to get your name changed in your passport, do it now and update it with IRCC. If your COPR is issued, your PR card too will have the same name and so will all documents after that.

To change your name after your PR card and other documents have it, you will have to go through the name change process of the province you are in addition to your passport.
@legalfalcon, If I update the passport, does it trigger new BCG or they will just update the files with new details ?
Thanks in Advance.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
@legalfalcon, If I update the passport, does it trigger new BCG or they will just update the files with new details ?
Thanks in Advance.
submitting a renewed passport does not necessarily trigger new BGC. However, since now you have a changed name, IRCC may do a search for any aliases using your name or ask for a new PCC, which will depend on a case by case basis. Moreover, since you only have spilt you name, and not completely changed your name, a new PCC or BGC is remote.

Reactions: Cannnada

Downtown_YYZ Guy

Star Member
Sep 22, 2022
Hello friends, My wife's passport has only first names of her parents. While applying Indian PCC by post is it ok if i just put the first name for her parents or should i fill in the last name with some values?