Interview........
No interview required
Passport Req..
13-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
Call 03/13: Your visa ready for pickup in Manila Office
LANDED..........
instructed that have to land before 26-05-2014 ticket booked to vancouver May 8
Question: Please help clarify for me. My spouse and I were married March 22, 2013 in Manila. I am from Canada. We filled out all the required forms and collected all the necessary support information for Immigration Canada. I sent off the package when I returned to Canada. I received confirmation of approval for sponsorship and that the medical and application for PR was received May 30th. My spouse's passport is still in her previous name. It is good until November 2015. We are aware that she will be asked to surrender her passport in Manila. We are also aware that she will be required to complete the CFO course and obtain the certificate to be included on the passport. We are wondering if she should proceed with changing her status on the passport to include her new married name. (new passport) This will take time and possibly be in process when she is asked to surrender her passport. Would it complicate her PR application process if we apply now for the new passport? Should Tess go ahead and complete the GFO course now? It sounds like at the time of the course she will be given a passport sticker to show completion of the course. All these questions to figure out what to do to save time.

Catou

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2013
LANDED..........
Very soon.
What name is used on her application? The passport must be in the same name.
If you used her married name on the application then you need to get the passport changed to her married name as soon as possible. If her maiden name is on the application, leave the passport as it is. Make those changes later, after she has permanent residency. Changing it would definitely complicate matters with CIC.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you regarding the course but someone else may come along to answer that.

eemsley

Star Member
Sep 26, 2013
Richmond BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
28-05-2013
File Transfer...
04-07-2013
Med's Done....
03-25-2013
Interview........
No interview required
Passport Req..
13-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you for your response. Yes the application is in her maiden name so we will leave as is. THe course I was talking about is a ceminar held in Manila for all new spouses from the Philippines. It seems to be a requirement for when going through customs. A sticker is placed on the passport.

Catou

Jun 9, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2013
LANDED..........
Very soon.
If you think she can complete the course before the visa office will ask for her passport I'd suggest getting it done now. One thing you wouldn't need to worry about later ;)

Jhou

Sep 6, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec. 17, 2012
AOR Received.
SA approved : Jan. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
Same day SA, received at CEM Feb. 05, 2013
Med's Done....
Nov. 29, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
June 28, 2013 with AOM Passport Sent to CEM July 5, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Oct. 28,2013
LANDED..........
Nov. 26,2013
Catou said:
What name is used on her application? The passport must be in the same name.
If you used her married name on the application then you need to get the passport changed to her married name as soon as possible. If her maiden name is on the application, leave the passport as it is. Make those changes later, after she has permanent residency. Changing it would definitely complicate matters with CIC.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you regarding the course but someone else may come along to answer that.

Yes u got it right Catou! If someone married to any foreigner her in the phils. she/he should attend the seminar first at the CFO before they will apply the new passport, then go back for the sticker when the visa is ready! I'm done with the seminar anyway and just waiting my visa soon. :)

eemsley

Star Member
Sep 26, 2013
Richmond BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2013
AOR Received.
28-05-2013
File Transfer...
04-07-2013
Med's Done....
03-25-2013
Interview........
No interview required
Passport Req..
13-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Excellent advise Jhou and Catou. Tess will arrange to attend the seminar as soon as possible. Good to connect with helpful people. This helps us all get through the long wait.