Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-03-2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully May 2015
Hi,

My spouse passport is getting expired soon. She has her PR card now.

- Which way is best to renew passport? In canada or from home country (India)?
- Anyways we plan to go home country in next few days. So can we do from there? Is it ok to have Indian address in new passport?
- How do we inform CIC about this new passport?

Thx

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
You can renew from India. No need to inform cic.

nm_Ranga

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2014
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
15-10-2014
AOR Received.
NA
IELTS Request
Sent with file
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
11 Dec 14
Med's Done....
24 Dec 14
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
27-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-03-2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully May 2015
Thanks. But how does the latest passport details get reflected into my PR status / PR card if I dont inform CIC?

Yoda24

Nov 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nm_Ranga said:
Thanks. But how does the latest passport details get reflected into my PR status / PR card if I dont inform CIC?
To travel, passport should have validity of 6 months. If that's not the case then please get a new passport in Canada and update CIC.

Reactions: BadGamer6

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
nm_Ranga said:
It doesn't, and it doesn't need to be. A permanent resident is not required to have a passport from a foreign country.

Before you land, your Permanent Resident visa is tied to your passport, however.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Yoda24 said:
To travel, passport should have validity of 6 months. If that's not the case then please get a new passport in Canada and update CIC.
Some countries require a period of validity for passports in order to enter as a visitor. If you are a permanent resident of Canada, you do not need one at all to enter Canada. Other countries vary.

No need to notify CIC.

Yoda24

Nov 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Indian passport holders need their passport to be valid for 6 months before they travel. Please check this link for your reference.

http://www.hciottawa.ca/view_detail.php?id=149

Please call the Indian High Commission in Ottawa if you have doubts or need clarification.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Once you have obtained your PR card, your passport is no longer needed by CIC. It won't matter if your passport number changes, it does not need to be linked to your PR card.

The only time your passport will be 'linked' again is when you renew your PR card in 5 years (if you renew it) then it will reflect your new passport information. Until then, it is not needed.

You will need to verify the rules for traveling to countries other than Canada though in regards to how long your passport must be valid for. That information will be available to you via your issuing countries website or consulate located in Canada.

Reactions: Impatient1

Yoda24

Nov 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alurra71 said:
Once you have obtained your PR card, your passport is no longer needed by CIC. It won't matter if your passport number changes, it does not need to be linked to your PR card.

The only time your passport will be 'linked' again is when you renew your PR card in 5 years (if you renew it) then it will reflect your new passport information. Until then, it is not needed.

You will need to verify the rules for traveling to countries other than Canada though in regards to how long your passport must be valid for. That information will be available to you via your issuing countries website or consulate located in Canada.
True dat. :)

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Yoda24 said:
Indian passport holders need their passport to be valid for 6 months before they travel. Please check this link for your reference.

http://www.hciottawa.ca/view_detail.php?id=149
I checked the page. It says they should renew, not that it's required. Specifically,

Many international travellers may not realise that having an unexpired passport is sometimes not enough to obtain Visas or to enter certain foreign countries.

That statement is true. Many countries will not permit you to enter if you have only a short while left on the passport. If something happens, they want your passport to still be valid. Countries often enforce this through the visa program - if your passport expires soon, they won't issue a visa.

That does not apply to Canada, as Permanent Residents have right of entry, and don't need a visa.

Please call the Indian High Commission in Ottawa if you have doubts or need clarification.
There's no need, as there is no Canadian law requiring it.

I entered Canada tonight without a passport. The CBSA officer and I had a nice talk. I haven't used my passport to enter Canada for months, and I cross at least weekly.

Reactions: cz999 and njnbat

vikrant1603

Star Member
Feb 13, 2016
Hi guys,
I am in a similar boat. I am getting my passport renewed from India as the validity is less than 6 months, but i have my PR card with me. Will there be a problem while entering Canada?
Also as I am entering Canada first time post my PR card issuance, is there something that i should be prepared for at customs?
Thanks

Reactions: pankaj_koul1

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
vikrant1603 said:
Hi guys,
I am in a similar boat. I am getting my passport renewed from India as the validity is less than 6 months, but i have my PR card with me. Will there be a problem while entering Canada?
Also as I am entering Canada first time post my PR card issuance, is there something that i should be prepared for at customs?
Thanks
As long as you meet your residency obligations and pr card is valid and not expired and name on the PR card matches with the name on the new renewed passport, you should have no issues returning back to Canada. Make sure you also carry your existing expired passport for future reference.

vikrant1603

Star Member
Feb 13, 2016
Thanks a lot for the help!

thecoolguysam said:
As long as you meet your residency obligations and pr card is valid and not expired and name on the PR card matches with the name on the new renewed passport, you should have no issues returning back to Canada. Make sure you also carry your existing expired passport for future reference.

mptocanada

Star Member
Sep 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nm_Ranga said:
Hi,

My spouse passport is getting expired soon. She has her PR card now.

- Which way is best to renew passport? In canada or from home country (India)?
- Anyways we plan to go home country in next few days. So can we do from there? Is it ok to have Indian address in new passport?
- How do we inform CIC about this new passport?

Thx
More advisable to get it done from here. Will be more appropriate when citi is due.

vikrant1603

Star Member
Feb 13, 2016
Just to re-confirm, i need not inform cic regaridng my passport renewal?

thecoolguysam said: