+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Question

headingforcanada101

Nov 14, 2017
App. Filed.......
11-05-2018
AOR Received.
14-06-2018
Hello. I am a US Citizen currently applying Outland with my spouse as a sponsor. I will be arriving in Canada as a "visitor" the first week in August. My children are 13 and 15. When I applied yesterday for the kids passports the person at the post office who did the applications said that once my daughter is 16 she will need a new passport. I am confused by this and can't find anything online to support it. I thought they were good for 5 years. She turns 16 the second week in September. I am worried that I won't be able to get her back into the US from Canada to apply for a new passport once she is 16, if her one she got at 15 isn't valid. My kids will be enrolling in school with their passports I have already spoken to the school. I don't want them having to attend school here in the US for a 6 weeks while I wait for the 16 year old's passport to be processed and delivered and the kids miss the first month of school in Canada.

I don't know if this woman taking my application is confused or if she is right.

Does anyone have an experience with this?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Hello. I am a US Citizen currently applying Outland with my spouse as a sponsor. I will be arriving in Canada as a "visitor" the first week in August. My children are 13 and 15. When I applied yesterday for the kids passports the person at the post office who did the applications said that once my daughter is 16 she will need a new passport. I am confused by this and can't find anything online to support it. I thought they were good for 5 years. She turns 16 the second week in September. I am worried that I won't be able to get her back into the US from Canada to apply for a new passport once she is 16, if her one she got at 15 isn't valid. My kids will be enrolling in school with their passports I have already spoken to the school. I don't want them having to attend school here in the US for a 6 weeks while I wait for the 16 year old's passport to be processed and delivered and the kids miss the first month of school in Canada.

I don't know if this woman taking my application is confused or if she is right.

Does anyone have an experience with this?
Since this is a Canadian forum you would probably have much better luck asking in a forum related to US immigration/travel.

That being said, I believe the person at the post office is misinformed. The only difference is that applying before she's 16, the passport will only be good for 5 years, whereas it would be good for 10 years if she applied after she turned 16. It will not automatically expire when she turns 16, as far as I understand.

headingforcanada101

Nov 14, 2017
App. Filed.......
11-05-2018
AOR Received.
14-06-2018
Since this is a Canadian forum you would probably have much better luck asking in a forum related to US immigration/travel.

That being said, I believe the person at the post office is misinformed. The only difference is that applying before she's 16, the passport will only be good for 5 years, whereas it would be good for 10 years if she applied after she turned 16. It will not automatically expire when she turns 16, as far as I understand.
Obviously I am aware this is a Canadian Immigration forum, but there are lots of Americans on here who may have some insight or personal experience with it.