28-03-2014
Can anyone let me know how and where to

1) Get a history of travel to and from UAE

2)Translate non-Eng/Fr stamps on my passport

Thank you

californian89

Feb 13, 2020
Question,
When does IRCC request translation of these stamps? My paspport has stamps from the EU, GB, MX, BR & AU.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I cannot answer the OP's questions directly.

BUT, as for whether or not applicants need to have a translation of passport stamps, a REMINDER is warranted:

As indicated in the citizenship application guide (multiple times actually), which is consistent with instructions for almost all applications made to IRCC, whenever a document containing information in a non-official language is presented to IRCC, the instructions are clear: it is to be accompanied by a properly authenticated translation.

Presenting any document in a non-official language should be accompanied by a proper translation.

A passport qualifies as "a document." So yeah, DUH, when a passport is being presented to a citizenship processing agent, for the purpose of examining it and its contents, including stamps, if that passport contains information in a language other than either of the official languages (French and English), the instructions say it is to be accompanied by a properly authenticated translation. Any document tends to include any document.

Which, typically, happens in the course of the interview during a test event.

For some reason there is a widespread view that passports might not subject to these instructions. Or that they only apply to passports if IRCC makes a specific request for a translation.

My guess is that this derives from the many reports from applicants who did not provide translations, despite some information in stamps which was not in an official language, and that was NO PROBLEM. Like me. Been there. Did that.

This is because IRCC does NOT play gotcha games. IRCC is not about imposing technicalities for the sake making applicants jump through merely technical hoops. If IRCC can readily discern what needs to be known and does not have a concern, typically they will NOT engage in a largely make-work exercise just to force applicants to follow the instructions in every detail.

So, like CIC did for me, many times the failure to provide a translation for stamps does NOT cause any problem, not even a question let alone a request the applicant provide the translation.

But make no mistake. The instructions are clear. ANY document in a language not one of the official languages is to be properly translated.

I am a recalcitrant westerner, and rather too often among those who fail to follow their own advice. Still, to my view a key to successfully navigating the path to citizenship is following the instructions. I often say, with emphasis, "if in doubt, follow the instructions; otherwise, yep, follow the instructions." Even if I did not.

For those who are trying to figure out if the non-official language stamps in their passport will trigger a request for a translation, that is, trigger enforcement of the instructions in this regard, most should be able to easily discern how likely or not what is in their passport will get a pass, or not get a pass. Sure, some may be close calls. One can always gamble. Not much to lose, just the amount of time it might delay things if a translation is required, with perhaps a small negative influence in the processing agent's perception of the applicant (such as where the passport has stamps which any reasonable person would apprehend should be translated, or where the travel history is particularly complicated). But applications are NOT rejected because the applicant failed to follow the instructions by not having passport stamps translated.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Background :

We landed in 2014, returned to UAE for 1 year, moved permanently to Canada in 2015. My wife and children continued to live here, but between 2015 & 2016, I made 4 trips to the UAE to wind up my business commitments. UAE visa cancelled in Apr 2016. I haven't been to UAE since then. Exited Canada between 2016 and today for three US trips only.

I had my test / interview today , cleared the test 20/20 but the officer has asked me for my UAE travel history since I became a PR in 2014. I have travelled extensively to multiple countries between 2014-2015 during the time I was out of Canada. "You could have used the e-gate which would not show up as stamp on your passport" (his words, not mine!) Even though, I made sure that I did not use the e-gate after we became PR to ensure I have a clean record.

I have non-Eng/Fr stamps on my passport from Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Russia and Morocco. So they have asked for a copy of every single page, including blank, of passport with certified translations of non-Eng/Fr stamps to confirm my travel.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Which still begets my original question, anyone got their travel history from the UAE?

I've written to the UAE Immigration Dept, but am not sure if it can be done online.