+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport expiring while citizenship in process

sonhdalal

Sep 12, 2014
Hi everyone! my passport is expiring in three months and I am looking to extend it (my home country embassy offer a two year extension stamp without having to renew the passport). I have two question:

1) Will it cause any delays or issues to my application?
2)I haven't received AOR yet (March 2020 applicant), Should I
-Wait for AOR then extend my passport and submit a web form with a scan of the new stamp? or
- extend it now and submit the web form BEFORE even receiving the AOR ? or
- extend it now and submit the web AFTER receiving the AOR ?

Thank you for your help in advance

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi everyone! my passport is expiring in three months and I am looking to extend it (my home country embassy offer a two year extension stamp without having to renew the passport). I have two question:

-Wait for AOR then extend my passport and submit a web form with a scan of the new stamp? or

1.- no
2.- the passport is just to review your travels, it is up to you. IRCC does not care.
which country?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/venezuelan-passports.html

limits

May 13, 2015
1 - No, why would it?
2 - Renew ASAP and submit webform immediately. You do not need to wait for AOR to do that.

masood8

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-01-2011
Doc's Request.
20-03-2011
IELTS Request
Along File
Med's Request
05-11-2013
Med's Done....
10-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 05-10-2014 & PPR2 17-11-2014 (Submitted: 18-02-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
29-June-2015
You still have 3 months to renew your passport, just wait for AOR and then extend your passport and update via webform
Unless you need to travel urgent with a extension on passport, no need to submit webform before AOR

Mumbai_Maratha

Mar 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

My friends application returned sometime ago as his child passport was expiring within 6 months.
You should check if there is any such requirement about passport validity

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
My friends application returned sometime ago as his child passport was expiring within 6 months.
Not sure what type of application your friend's child had, but there is absolutely no passport validity requirement for a citizenship application.

Reactions: YVR123

sonhdalal

Sep 12, 2014
You still have 3 months to renew your passport, just wait for AOR and then extend your passport and update via webform
Unless you need to travel urgent with a extension on passport, no need to submit webform before AOR
Yes, I need to travel and they wouldn’t grant me a visa if my passport validty is less than 6 months

Mumbai_Maratha

Mar 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure what type of application your friend's child had, but there is absolutely no passport validity requirement for a citizenship application.
i think when you use passport as a support document (e.g. show as a identity proof), then it's mandatory to have it's valid... for this very reason his application was returned.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
i think when you use passport as a support document (e.g. show as a identity proof), then it's mandatory to have it's valid... for this very reason his application was returned.
yes, but it does not make sense as your friend's son's passport has six months' validity before it expires. I do not get it.

Mumbai_Maratha

Mar 9, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yes, but it does not make sense as your friend's son's passport has six months' validity before it expires. I do not get it.
His kid passport expiry was in less than 6 months. For any identification document, they intend not to expire in less than 6 months.

masood8

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-01-2011
Doc's Request.
20-03-2011
IELTS Request
Along File
Med's Request
05-11-2013
Med's Done....
10-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 05-10-2014 & PPR2 17-11-2014 (Submitted: 18-02-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
29-June-2015
What type of application did your friend submitted for his kid? I have seen tons of applicant applied for citizenship and got citizenship with expired passport submitted at the time of application as an ID.
I personally know 3 applicants who are now citizen

Usher9387

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
There is no passport validity requirement for a citizenship application.I attached my expired one and got AOR and you can see number of examples in this forum. Again you don't to renew your passport unless you want to travel

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I see, that's a subtlety I'm unaware of. Thanks.
Quite odd tough, a document that would expire the next day is still a valid ID that proves identity...
OP should still be good to go.