+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport expiring - PR application in progress

alinakniaz

Oct 21, 2019
Hi everyone,

I find myself in a bit of a confusing situation here. My AOR is Aug 3rd, CEC inland. Passport (Russian citizen) expires on May 3rd, 2020. I have to leave the country by then, as per my work permit, unless I renew passport, in which case my work permit is valid until July.

The issue is, the Consulate of Russia told me that people have been waiting to renew their passports since Jan-Feb 2020. So they basically said "no hope to renew passport within Canada but you can try if you want". I applied and scheduled an appointment at the Consulate on Feb 15 with little hope that I will actually be able to renew it.

I was advised by the consulate to go to Russia, renew the passport, apply for visa with my new passport, wait for it, then come back. The IRCC agent (2 of them) advised that leaving Canada while PR is in progress is not good. But also it's not good to not have a passport. Also one of them said that I shouldn't expect to hear back about PR until May. So what am I to do?

Can they give me PR if I am in Russia even though I applied in Canada? I assume if I leave, renew my passport and apply for visa, I won't actually get that visa for a few months and will be stuck in Russia for a while.

Please someone let me know if you have any thoughts on this, I'm so confused.

Thank you,

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
You can go to Russia and inform ircc about the change in address, it won't have any affect on your PR application.