+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport expires BEFORE work permit

drajpoot

Champion Member
Aug 4, 2014
Sigh. The work permit remains valid. Here is immigration law:

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2002-227/page-38.html#docCont

Authorized period ends

(4) The period authorized for a temporary resident’s stay ends on the earliest of

• (a) the day on which the temporary resident leaves Canada without obtaining prior authorization to re-enter Canada;
  • (b) the day on which their permit becomes invalid, in the case of a temporary resident who has been issued either a work permit or a study permit;
  • (b.1) the day on which the second of their permits becomes invalid, in the case of a temporary resident who has been issued a work permit and a study permit;
  • (c) the day on which any temporary resident permit issued to the temporary resident is no longer valid under section 63;
  • (c.1) in the case of a person who is required by section 10.01 of the Act to provide their biometric information, the day on which the period of 10 years following the latest day on which the person provided their biometric information under section 10.01 of the Act ends; or
  • (d) the day on which the period authorized under subsection (2) ends, if paragraphs (a) to (c) do not apply.
Authorized period of stay

(2) Subject to subsections (3) to (5), the period authorized for the stay of a temporary resident is six months or any other period that is fixed by an officer on the basis of

• (a) the temporary resident’s means of support in Canada;
  • (b) the period for which the temporary resident applies to stay; and
  • (c) the expiry of the temporary resident’s passport or other travel document.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Authorized period of stay

(2) Subject to subsections (3) to (5), the period authorized for the stay of a temporary resident is six months or any other period that is fixed by an officer on the basis of

• (a) the temporary resident’s means of support in Canada;
  • (b) the period for which the temporary resident applies to stay; and
  • (c) the expiry of the temporary resident’s passport or other travel document.
Try reading what I posted, specifically 4(d), which takes precedence over what you posted. You can't just pick and choose what you want to make yourself sound right. The permit remains valid.

• (d) the day on which the period authorized under subsection (2) ends, if paragraphs (a) to (c) do not apply.

JazzyFizzle

Apr 15, 2020
Hi, I am aforementioned partner who needs to take more notice of his passport dates!

Firstly, just want to thank everyone here for wading in. I've got untold respect for people giving up time to help with this kind of thing, especially when official information is so difficult to decode.

I'm going to follow the more positive advice from PMM and Canuck and just apply for a new passport as normal.

What complicates the matter is that my partner (ss666) needs to renew her common-in-law visa in September, which requires them to review my documentation. If at that point, they question why I have a new passport.. there could be trouble.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I am aforementioned partner who needs to take more notice of his passport dates!

Firstly, just want to thank everyone here for wading in. I've got untold respect for people giving up time to help with this kind of thing, especially when official information is so difficult to decode.

I'm going to follow the more positive advice from PMM and Canuck and just apply for a new passport as normal.

What complicates the matter is that my partner (ss666) needs to renew her common-in-law visa in September, which requires them to review my documentation. If at that point, they question why I have a new passport.. there could be trouble.
Shouldn't be an issue for her to renew her permit.