+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport expires before completion of the course. Jan 2017 intake.

nikhitaputta

Aug 8, 2016
Hi!

My student visa has been approved for Jan 2017. My passport expires in Nov 2017. My course in from Jan,2017 to Jan 2018.
It is mentioned in the invite letter that the validity of the passport my be beyond the duration that I intend to stay in Canada.

Will I be denied entry because my passport expires before the course ends?
or will I be given a permit until my passport expires and then I would renew my passport in Canada and apply for study permit extension till my course end?

Thank you.
Nikhita

Ahmed1995

Oct 15, 2016
Its the same situation with me. My course starts in 2017 ends in 2021 and my passport expires in 2019. The people at vfs told me that it won't be an issue but I'll have to reapply for the passport from there and that for now I'll only get visa until 2019.

Not sure how accurate her info was.. If anyone knows better, do correct me

dhaliwal_randhawa

Star Member
Jul 22, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 04, 2016
AOR Received.
May 25, 2016
File Transfer...
July 14, 2016
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
April 14, 2016
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Dec 12, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 16, 2016
LANDED..........
TBD
nikhitaputta said:
Hi!

My student visa has been approved for Jan 2017. My passport expires in Nov 2017. My course in from Jan,2017 to Jan 2018.
It is mentioned in the invite letter that the validity of the passport my be beyond the duration that I intend to stay in Canada.

Will I be denied entry because my passport expires before the course ends?
or will I be given a permit until my passport expires and then I would renew my passport in Canada and apply for study permit extension till my course end?

Thank you.
Nikhita
Nikhita,

This won't affect you, however you will have to renew your passport once you are in Canada (which you know obviously). Your passport should have minimum of 6 months validity to allow you to travel outside country.

Hope this helps!

pragati10

Star Member
Jan 29, 2018
Nikhita,

This won't affect you, however you will have to renew your passport once you are in Canada (which you know obviously). Your passport should have minimum of 6 months validity to allow you to travel outside country.

Hope this helps!
hello.. i have the same issue..i applied for the visa on 1st feb and still waiting for it...my course duration is of 2 years..and my passport expires before that..the problem is i cant get it renewed as more than one year is der for the expiry..will i be denied from getting the visa on passport basis? help me out pls course starts may 2018 and ends 2020..passport expires on june 2019

tinzzz

Star Member
Feb 13, 2018
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-07-2021
AOR Received.
28-07-2021
hello.. i have the same issue..i applied for the visa on 1st feb and still waiting for it...my course duration is of 2 years..and my passport expires before that..the problem is i cant get it renewed as more than one year is der for the expiry..will i be denied from getting the visa on passport basis? help me out pls course starts may 2018 and ends 2020..passport expires on june 2019
As they mentioned above, it won't be an issue, you can still travel and enter Canada as long as the validity of your passport is more than six months. You will have to renew your passport while in Canada and when you get your new passport, you will need to apply for study permit extension.

Since your passport expires in June 2019, I think it's better to renew now before you go to Canada to save you from that hassle.

I'm in the same situation, my passport expires 22 May 2020 but my program ends in 24 May 2020. If in God's will I get study permit approval soon, I will renew my passport in May 2018 — yes, 2 years in advance! Just so when I reach Canada in August, they can issue me a study permit for the entire duration of my studies.

Reactions: pragati10

pragati10

Star Member
Jan 29, 2018
As they mentioned above, it won't be an issue, you can still travel and enter Canada as long as the validity of your passport is more than six months. You will have to renew your passport while in Canada and when you get your new passport, you will need to apply for study permit extension.

Since your passport expires in June 2019, I think it's better to renew now before you go to Canada to save you from that hassle.

I'm in the same situation, my passport expires 22 May 2020 but my program ends in 24 May 2020. If in God's will I get study permit approval soon, I will renew my passport in May 2018 — yes, 2 years in advance! Just so when I reach Canada in August, they can issue me a study permit for the entire duration of my studies.
ya but the thing is i already applied..and its more then a year..how to get it renewed...for renewable atleast 9 month should be der..i have appled offline ..my passport is in the VAC offc...i hope their will be no problem

Mr Rich

Mar 5, 2018
My programme starts September 2018 through September 2022. But my passport expires 18th Dec 2019. Will it affect me in anyway if I renew my passport in my country before it expires and before I enter Canada? Though I submitted yet to expire passport as admission supplemental item.

tinzzz

Star Member
Feb 13, 2018
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-07-2021
AOR Received.
28-07-2021
My programme starts September 2018 through September 2022. But my passport expires 18th Dec 2019. Will it affect me in anyway if I renew my passport in my country before it expires and before I enter Canada? Though I submitted yet to expire passport as admission supplemental item.
Like you, my program starts in September and I also plan to renew my passport before coming to Canada.

I was advised that it's okay to show both passports, the old one (which has the visa attached to it after you got approved) and the new one (which you just renewed). When you reach Canada, only then they will give you the study permit which will be attached to your new passport.

Reactions: Mr Rich

Casan

Oct 3, 2021
Like you, my program starts in September and I also plan to renew my passport before coming to Canada.

I was advised that it's okay to show both passports, the old one (which has the visa attached to it after you got approved) and the new one (which you just renewed). When you reach Canada, only then they will give you the study permit which will be attached to your new passport.
Hi.
I wanted to know if you did renew your passport before arriving. If so, did they grant your Study Permit taking into account the new expiration date of your passport?

thanks for your help.