+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport expiration during the PR process

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
Hi all, how I should do when my passport expire in November 2016 and we start this PR process under Family Class (Inland) process in January 2016.
I can't get new passport from Embassy before starting process and paperwork, so can I use my current passport and get new one soon as possible and send new information to CIC? I wonder do we need to renew all paperwork after it?
Thanks.

Amra

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-12-2015
AOR Received.
09-02-2016
File Transfer...
23-02-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2016, COPR: 11-05-2016
LANDED..........
14-05-2016
You can still send your application in January, and as soon as you have your new passport, you can send copies of the new passport to them.

From CIC website: "You and your family members must have valid passports or travel documents. If any of the documents are to expire soon, you should renew them and provide copies of the new passport or travel document to the office processing your application."

But you should do that only when you have a file number or some reference number to you application, otherwise information might get lost.

Not sure what is the reason why you can't get a new passport before you send your application (maybe you need to apply before your legal status expires). We applied for a passport renewal 10 months before the passport expired, and we got it.

rmv

Star Member
Dec 15, 2015
Thank you Amra. Reason is because I am not able to travel other side of Canada for few months, and it takes 3-4 week to get in mail a new passport. So I need to send it later.
Do you know what is the best time to send PR and sponsor application if my current visa expires in July and I want to stay here with my husband?

Amra said:
You can still send your application in January, and as soon as you have your new passport, you can send copies of the new passport to them.

From CIC website: "You and your family members must have valid passports or travel documents. If any of the documents are to expire soon, you should renew them and provide copies of the new passport or travel document to the office processing your application."

But you should do that only when you have a file number or some reference number to you application, otherwise information might get lost.

Not sure what is the reason why you can't get a new passport before you send your application (maybe you need to apply before your legal status expires). We applied for a passport renewal 10 months before the passport expired, and we got it.

28january

Star Member
Oct 1, 2014
rmv said:
Thank you Amra. Reason is because I am not able to travel other side of Canada for few months, and it takes 3-4 week to get in mail a new passport. So I need to send it later.
Do you know what is the best time to send PR and sponsor application if my current visa expires in July and I want to stay here with my husband?
Hi, my passport expired mid-way as well (mostly because they took their sweet time) but the process of sending them my new passport was pretty straight forward. Like Amra said, make sure you include your reference number. I included with mine copies of AOR and AIP letter as well as my Canadian visa and my work permit, so there's no confusion that I'm the same applicant. I was still worried that this might get lost somewhere or they don't accept my new document or whatever, but they updated the system pretty fast with my new passport info.