+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport: Country of issue?

kayvee

Star Member
Apr 22, 2014
Hi there,

I am filling up the IMM 5708 form to extend my stay in Canada.

The form is asking for the "country of issue" for my passport.

My passport is Iranian. Inside the passport it states place of issue as Washington

That is because Iran does not have an embassy or consulate in Canada.

Instead...when I wanted to renew my passport I had to send it to the Pakistan Embassy in Washington

What is the answer to "country of issue"?

Is it Iran, USA or Pakistan?

Thanks

Reactions: Maryam2020

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but for sure will not be the USA . Generally country of issue is same as country of citizenship and not where the passport was physically issued.

I would have thought same applies here given Pakistan will only be acting on behalf of Iran but not actually issuing passports but just facilitating the distribution on behalf of the government of Iran . So the passport issued by the government of Iran but through the Pakistan Embassy/Consulate almost like a mail drop. That is my interpretation anyway

thestunner316

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it is always, ALWAYS country which has igiven you passport, not where the passport was printed physically...

in your case, its Iran...

if they ask for PLACE where passport was issued, then its washington or whichever city the PP application was lodged in...

i had this same confusion myself, got this cleared with a few senoirs

Reactions: Maryam2020

Marzieh zall

Apr 15, 2018
Hi there,

I am filling up the IMM 5708 form to extend my stay in Canada.

The form is asking for the "country of issue" for my passport.

My passport is Iranian. Inside the passport it states place of issue as Washington

That is because Iran does not have an embassy or consulate in Canada.

Instead...when I wanted to renew my passport I had to send it to the Pakistan Embassy in Washington

What is the answer to "country of issue"?

Is it Iran, USA or Pakistan?

Thanks