+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport cancelled and visa issued on cancelled passport

Mifatima

Jul 29, 2017
Hi all,
We r a family of four (me..my husband and two kids).We recently got our PR visas and landing papers.However,earlier when i went to submit our passports the officials at the VFS global responsible for getting passports submitted at canadian embassy refused to accept my daughter's passport as it had some barcode printing overlapping in it and asked us to get it renewed.We got it renewed n submitted all our passports along with my daughter's old and new passports attached together.The passport on which her application was processed was the old one and it got cancelled.But the embassy issued visa on the old cancelled passport instead of the new one and also the COPR has the travel document details of her old passport.it was cancelled earlier and visa stamped later.We have to land in the coming 2 months time and also have to exit our current country of residence to our home country before making our first landing in Canada.Please help how should this be a problem and what should i do to rectify it if at all this is a problem?

kuskus

Champion Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
We r a family of four (me..my husband and two kids).We recently got our PR visas and landing papers.However,earlier when i went to submit our passports the officials at the VFS global responsible for getting passports submitted at canadian embassy refused to accept my daughter's passport as it had some barcode printing overlapping in it and asked us to get it renewed.We got it renewed n submitted all our passports along with my daughter's old and new passports attached together.The passport on which her application was processed was the old one and it got cancelled.But the embassy issued visa on the old cancelled passport instead of the new one and also the COPR has the travel document details of her old passport.it was cancelled earlier and visa stamped later.We have to land in the coming 2 months time and also have to exit our current country of residence to our home country before making our first landing in Canada.Please help how should this be a problem and what should i do to rectify it if at all this is a problem?

Essentially, the visa stamped on the expired passport remains valid. Just make sure you carry both passports.

Below is what is stated in the Port of Entry Manual -

“13.18 Valid visas in expired passports
Visa officers will not put a visa in an expired document and will not issue a visa for a period
surpassing the expiry date of the passport or travel document. Occasionally, documents
containing valid visas are cancelled or replaced. If a valid visa inside an expired document is
presented at the POE along with a valid passport or travel document, the visa is considered
valid.”

Check out page 73 of the manual here
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf#page25