+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport Application after Citizenship

GwenFayeth

Star Member
Jul 24, 2019
Hi everyone, I noticed that in order to apply for a passport in Canada after you become a citizen, you need to have 2 References. I have a few questions.
  1. Do these references need to be in Canada?
  2. Do they need to be PR/Canadian Citizens?
  3. Do you just need to nominate them and provide their contact information or do they need to sign your application with you?
If you can provide any other information on this, I would very much appreciate it.

smhsmh

Mar 27, 2023
I believe the page answers all 3 questions.

1. They don't, but if IRCC can't contact them in time, it may cause delays in your application:
To avoid delays, make sure your references are available if or when we need to contact them.
  • For example, they’re not travelling outside the country.
  • If they’re in a different time zone, it may take longer to contact them, which could delay your application.
2. No. There's no such requirement.
Your references must
  • be 18 years of age or older
  • have known you for at least
    • 2 years for passport applications
    • 6 months for certificate of identity and refugee travel document applications
  • agree to you using their name and contact information for your application
3. Just provide their contact information. Only guarantor needs to sign iirc.

GwenFayeth

Star Member
Jul 24, 2019

1. They don't, but if IRCC can't contact them in time, it may cause delays in your application:

Thank you very much. In addition to 2 references do I also need a guarantor? I read that the guarantor can be a notary, would that usually be fine?

Dr. Walden

Apr 27, 2020
Vancouver, BC

can the references be family members in the USA ( for example father, brother...)?

CANADA-1

Jan 17, 2017
Hi everyone, I noticed that in order to apply for a passport in Canada after you become a citizen, you need to have 2 References. I have a few questions.
  1. Do these references need to be in Canada?
  2. Do they need to be PR/Canadian Citizens?
  3. Do you just need to nominate them and provide their contact information or do they need to sign your application with you?
If you can provide any other information on this, I would very much appreciate it.
1- yes
2-18 plus any one for reference except family member
3- no further detail call to passport Canada

smhsmh

Mar 27, 2023
Thank you very much. In addition to 2 references do I also need a guarantor? I read that the guarantor can be a notary, would that usually be fine?
Yes, you also need a guarantor. I don’t recommend using a notary unless you can’t find any guarantor that meets all the requirements. You’ll need to fill one more form and need 2 more references if your guarantor is a notary.

GwenFayeth

Star Member
Jul 24, 2019
Yes, you also need a guarantor. I don’t recommend using a notary unless you can’t find any guarantor that meets all the requirements. You’ll need to fill one more form and need 2 more references if your guarantor is a notary.
Oh so technically if I use a notary as a guarantor I will need 4 references? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 747-captain

RefugeeHelp1

May 23, 2019
Category........
Other

The passport form has changed so you should read the Declaration of Guarantor Section J it outlines what they need and if you do not now 1 person who is Canadian who has known you for 2 yrs you will need to fill out additional forms, al the info in Section J

good luck

sumeet169

Jul 27, 2018
Has anyone used the Notary? It asks to five years of history and two years in regular form. Do we need to fill in both, 2 years and 5 years?