+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport after citizenship questions

Jun 6, 2017
Hello

I hope this is the right forum for this. I am due to get my citizenship in the next couple weeks. I am travelling to the US soon after.

I am currently an Indian citizen. My Indian passport will no longer be a valid travel document once I take my Canadian Citizenship oath. However, can I still use my Indian Passport as a valid form of ID for my Canadian Passport application?

(I can't use my driver's license as my name is incorrectly ordered on it)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello

I hope this is the right forum for this. I am due to get my citizenship in the next couple weeks. I am travelling to the US soon after.

I am currently an Indian citizen. My Indian passport will no longer be a valid travel document once I take my Canadian Citizenship oath. However, can I still use my Indian Passport as a valid form of ID for my Canadian Passport application?

Are you sure your Indian pp is no longer valid after your oath? Read the checklist if your Indian pp can be used, but I doubt it.

Jun 6, 2017
Are you sure your Indian pp is no longer valid after your oath?
I think my Indian passport cannot be used as a travel document anymore as technically, India does not allow dual citizenship. I am supposed to give up my Indian Passport to the embassy but there's a grace period of about 3 months. If I use my Indian passport for travel, I'm subjected to fines.

1. There is a grace period of three months after acquisition of foreign nationality (to be counted from the date of registration / Naturalisation Certificate and not from the date of foreign passport) for using Indian passport for travel.
from the bottom of this page: Indian Passport Renunciation

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello

This page states that you can use a foreign passport as ID when applying for a Canadian passport:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/documents-identity.asp

The passport cannot be expired.

Whether your passport is or is not a valid travel document is a matter that is between you and the Indian government. I don't think the Canadian government cares about that in terms of using it as ID.

Jun 6, 2017
This page states that you can use a foreign passport as ID when applying for a Canadian passport:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/documents-identity.asp

The passport cannot be expired.

Whether your passport is or is not a valid travel document is a matter that is between you and the Indian government. I don't think the Canadian government cares about that in terms of using it as ID.
Great, I was hoping that was the case.The passport is technically valid till 2021, so hopefully I'll be alright.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello

Using Indian passport will get you hefty fines. You have to get Canadian passport which can beasily done on the same day of the oath. You have to persuade the cic clerk working on your Oath ceremony to update the information in passport Canada system. If your oath is in the afternoon then you can go the next day. Apply for a passport the same day processing you have to pay additional 120.

Jun 6, 2017
Using Indian passport will get you hefty fines. You have to get Canadian passport which can beasily done on the same day of the oath. You have to persuade the cic clerk working on your Oath ceremony to update the information in passport Canada system. If your oath is in the afternoon then you can go the next day. Apply for a passport the same day processing you have to pay additional 120.
I believe the fines are if you use the Indian Passport for travel. I understand that and I do not intend to do that. I am just trying to use that as a valid ID to obtain my Canadian Passport.

chikloo

Feb 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe the fines are if you use the Indian Passport for travel. I understand that and I do not intend to do that. I am just trying to use that as a valid ID to obtain my Canadian Passport.
Yes you can use Indian passport as valid I'd. Your driver's license or province I'd can be used. Health card is not valid

0jenifer0

Champion Member
Jul 12, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 29, 2011 (CPC-M recvd Nov 1, 2011)
Doc's Request.
Feb 13, 2012 (sent June 4, 2012)
AOR Received.
Dec 29, 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 11, 2012
Med's Request
Aug 13, 2012 (recvd 08-23-2012) (redo 08-30-2012)
Med's Done....
May 26, 2011 exprd.
Passport Req..
Feb 8, 2012 (sent 03-23-2012)
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 28, 2012 (12-2-12 DM) (12-7-2012 delivered)
LANDED..........
DEC-25-2012
Hello

Hi,

I just became Canadian Citizen last month May 31, 2017. During my Oath taking day, they told us that we can only apply for Canadian Passport after "2 days" because as they mention there's a lot of things to do like filling our information on the data base system.

Also, if you needed a Canadian Passport asap in CIC website you can apply for "rush" if you need it.

If you took the Oath you've already renounced your Indian citizenship, that's what Oath means. Even though your Indian passport was still valid.