+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passport abroad - please help

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Hello,

i received my Canadian Passport abroad in my home country . Someone told me I cannot use it to my exit my home country and go back to Canada since I used my home country passport to exit Canada and enter my home country . I need to use the same home country passport to exit my home country and enter canada.
Is this true ?
Anyone received their Canadian passport abroad and travelled to Canada with their Canadian passport with no problems ?
Thank you ! Sorry if this is a stupid question.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

i received my Canadian Passport abroad in my home country . Someone told me I cannot use it to my exit my home country and go back to Canada since I used my home country passport to exit Canada and enter my home country . I need to use the same home country passport to exit my home country and enter canada.
Is this true ?
Anyone received their Canadian passport abroad and travelled to Canada with their Canadian passport with no problems ?
This is entirely a question of what your home country requires except for the part about entering Canada.

If you are still a citizen of your country of origin, yes, most countries require that citizens use that passport to enter and exit. (Canada does too except that Canada has no exit controls, i.e. must use Canadian passport to enter).

As for the airline, you simply show the airline your Canadian passport so that they know you will be allowed to enter Canada. (Doesn't really matter which passport is used to book the flight). When you enter Canada, yes, you must use your Canadian passport.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hello,

Is this true ?
If you are Indian by any chance, you will have to surrender your Indian passport in India, apply for a visa / exit permit and then use your Canadian pp to leave India. Immigration will look for a visa / arrival stamp on your Canadian pp when you are leaving.

many countries like Canada & US do not have an exit immigration, so your Canadian pp will only be verified by the airline to ensure they are not fined for transporting alien citizens.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Just carry both passports
That should work for most countries,

Reactions: Dalboy1980

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Thank you ! No I’m not Indian !
so if I carry both passports it should be okay ? Or do you think I have to get an exit paper and carry both passports ?
Also do I need to sign my passport ?
Thanks a lot

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
This is entirely a question of what your home country requires except for the part about entering Canada.

If you are still a citizen of your country of origin, yes, most countries require that citizens use that passport to enter and exit. (Canada does too except that Canada has no exit controls, i.e. must use Canadian passport to enter).

As for the airline, you simply show the airline your Canadian passport so that they know you will be allowed to enter Canada. (Doesn't really matter which passport is used to book the flight). When you enter Canada, yes, you must use your Canadian passport.
So can I exit with my home country passport and enter Canada with my Canadian passport ?
Do you think I will need like an exit paper from the embassy ? Or showing both passports will be enough ? Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So can I exit with my home country passport and enter Canada with my Canadian passport ?
Yes.

Do you think I will need like an exit paper from the embassy ? Or showing both passports will be enough ? Thank you
I can say that for vast majority of countries no exit paper or anything complicated will be needed. You simply do what's above.

I do not know if your country has any special requirements or issues with dual citizenship though so cannot tell you. And you haven't said what country for anyone to be able to tell you. If you don't want to post that info here, you'll have to find out for yourself locally. (The Embassy might have information on this but may not.)

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Obviously you have to sign your passport, in the signature line.
Its pretty easy to find…..