+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Passaport is expering and I have my app still in process

aleguillen

Star Member
May 15, 2013
Hi everyone, I am having a little bit of a problem right now.
My passport is going to expire at the end of november of this year. I got my work permit valid until that day. I have send everything to renew my passport but my country is slow in every single way you can think of and I am pretty sure I wont get it in the next two months. My question is what should I do and how is this goinf to affect me this whole process has been very intense and now this... I have read a few post here and there and some people said to call anf let them know that your passport is in process, I am pretty sure I can request a letter at the consulate and send it but then again what do I do about the work permit? I have an awesome job right now and I wouldnt want to miss it as it is helping me and my common law partner to get ahead after not being able to work for 2 years or so. Thank you very much for your help I know there is a way around thos I just need some help. I am a july applicant so far the sponsor is "in process" and everything else was received havent done medicals as I will wait for them to ask but I did send my police certicate with the app! I havent heard anything since march ! Thanks !

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

There is nothing you can do but hope that your new passport is issued before your current status expires.

If it arrives before, you can apply to extend your OWP. You will be able to continue working.

If it arrives after, you are going to go out of status because Canada does not grant status beyond passport expiry. You would need to stop working as soon as your work permit expires. If your new passport arrives within 90 days after your status expires, you could apply for Restoration. If it arrives after 90 days, you will not be able to restore your status.