+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

part-time work permit

sasi11491

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
hey hi friends, how are u ?i have landed in ottawa and i ve been taking up classes for the past one month
can i know wen can i start working ?do i need a separate work permit to do part-time jobs ?
people stated that there is no need for separate work permit from january intake onwards?
so wat is the condition of ours now ?
can we work nw ? or we have to wait for six months.
i joined in this fall intake
..please share your thots

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
sasi11491 said:
hey hi friends, how are u ?i have landed in ottawa and i ve been taking up classes for the past one month
can i know wen can i start working ?do i need a separate work permit to do part-time jobs ?
people stated that there is no need for separate work permit from january intake onwards?
as of now u have to wait for 6 months of study till u can apply for OCWP for part time job if the condition changes then there will be explanation of what happens to current students. All u can do now is wait till 6 months or till the rule changes.

umairq00

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Hi there,

Our champion member "mead" gave useful and to-the-point advice as always. But adding few points that right now, you're in a very delicate spot. You have to get good grades in your studies. There's a lot at stake - and you just cannot risk your studies by getting bad grades. My point is that your first priority should be your studies.

Also, you can work 20 hours a week on-campus for now and apply for the Off Campus Work Permit (OCWP) after six months. For on-campus employment, you first have to find work on the campus. You have to work at it. Go to the international office and talk to a relevant person about that. Contact the library services, local clubs, athletics department and food services. Talk to the relevant managers about that. You will be needing a Social Insurance Number (SIN) when you start working. You can fill out the form using the below link:

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/search/eforms/index.cgi?app=prfl&frm=nas2120&ln=eng

Good luck!

sasi11491

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
First of al , thank u so much for both champion mead and umairq .Your valuable comments are really helpful,, i wil definitely take ur suggestions into account and work accordingly.
thank u once again :)

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sasi11491 said:
only option for you at the moment is On campus job for which you need no permit. An employment letter from the campus would do. Now, don't get excited, it's damn hard to get an on-campus job and specially for a new comer. You may have some luck in next semester if you start pushing things now.

Rest, what you were talking about, that is still to get implemented from January 2014, so far no yet concrete info in black & white. If it happens as we all heard and read, You may get lucky by two months as in you may not have to wait for 6 months, just 4 months (but only if it gets implemented).

Wish you luck.

sasi11491

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
sabby2612 said:
only option for you at the moment is On campus job for which you need no permit. An employment letter from the campus would do. Now, don't get excited, it's damn hard to get an on-campus job and specially for a new comer. You may have some luck in next semester if you start pushing things now.

Rest, what you were talking about, that is still to get implemented from January 2014, so far no yet concrete info in black & white. If it happens as we all heard and read, You may get lucky by two months as in you may not have to wait for 6 months, just 4 months (but only if it gets implemented).

Wish you luck.

hey thanks for your information and i am not excited too,,,because i dont feel happy after coming here missing al my belongings in my country :( academic learnin is the only happines here as of nw ..Moreover,this job is just for the sake to run the expense of my life.Nothing much ..anyways ,thanks for your valuable comments on it ,i appreciate ur help :) thank u

srisrikanth

Star Member
Aug 26, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2013
LANDED..........
09-08-2013
Hello All,

I dont know what to do, some people are saying you can not work part time until you finish 6 month stay in Canada, but when i checked with my International department they said if you have SIN i can work. I got work permit along with my study permit on arrival in to Canada, with that i got my SIN. I have finished my stay only 1 month in Canada, can i work now with SIN or not?

some people said this 6 months wait is in discussion from past 2 years, don't know when it will gets passed.

seniors need your valuable suggestions

Thanks
Srikanth

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
srisrikanth said:
Hello All,

I dont know what to do, some people are saying you can not work part time until you finish 6 month stay in Canada, but when i checked with my International department they said if you have SIN i can work. I got work permit along with my study permit on arrival in to Canada, with that i got my SIN. I have finished my stay only 1 month in Canada, can i work now with SIN or not?

some people said this 6 months wait is in discussion from past 2 years, don't know when it will gets passed.

Thanks
Srikanth
Work permit you have obtained and the SIN is because your program is a co-op. Now, partly you are right and partly you are wrong. It all depends on your course description, if the program says " for the hours allocated for Co-op, if you can work along with your study, you can work. But if it specifies that your Co-op will be the third term, then you can't. Six months waiting period is still valid. It may change from Jan2014, but no confirmation yet. So when your International help center says you can work off campus, I believe you can as they must have told you this basis your program. Better check your program description.

Finally, lets wait for others to comment and in the mean time, you can call CIC and check program details and figure it out.

Cheers!

srisrikanth

Star Member
Aug 26, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2013
LANDED..........
09-08-2013
Thanks Sabby,

At first I opted for international business management , later after coming to Canada I shifted to hospitality management .
Anyway I will check with CIC, I have only a total of 14 hrs study class in this course where as in international business management it is around 30hrs,

Thanks and Regards ,

Srikanth

sasi11491

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
srisrikanth said:
Hello All,

Thanks

Srikanth

hey same situation here ,, are u eligible to work ?