+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Parents without US visa taking child to flagpole

bobbyjc

Jun 1, 2015
We received COPR for our child and would like to take her to the border to flagpole. But we don't have a US visa and the earliest available appointment at US consulate in Toronto is 2 months away...

Has anyone here done this? I understand it's not a problem for someone to confirm COPR for him/herself without a US visa. But I don't know if we (the parents) can enter the US without a visa if we are not flagpoling for ourselves.

Thanks!

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
That's a very interesting question. I don't have the answer for you, but my hunch is, a refused entry will go on your record because you're not the one needing to flagpole, unless someone can correct me if I'm wrong, if there's a special case for flagpoling minors.

Is landing at an IRCC office in Toronto/GTA not an option for you? It's about 2-4 weeks of waiting, but without the risk. That's still shorter than 2 months.

bobbyjc

Jun 1, 2015
That's a very interesting question. I don't have the answer for you, but my hunch is, a refused entry will go on your record because you're not the one needing to flagpole, unless someone can correct me if I'm wrong, if there's a special case for flagpoling minors.

Is landing at an IRCC office in Toronto/GTA not an option for you? It's about 2-4 weeks of waiting, but without the risk. That's still shorter than 2 months.
I emailed IRCC 30 days ago but still have not received a reply...

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I emailed IRCC 30 days ago but still have not received a reply...
Ugh, I get it now, sorry to hear that.

If you're still willing to try contacting IRCC, you can try the phone line (good luck) to set an appointment and tell them about the Web form you sent 30 days earlier, maybe they can set you up ASAP.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/client-support-centre.html

Or let's hope someone else can confirm you can get to the border without a visa somehow if accompanying a flagpoling minor.