Parents Sponsorship: Undertaking Responsibilities Living Situation

f_canada

Apr 7, 2017
To sponsor parents, requirements as sponsor are:
  • 18 years of age or older
  • living in Canada
  • a citizen, person registered in Canada as an Indian, or permanent resident
  • meet income requirement.
Okay, what about the year the process is complete, but they haven't landed in Canada yet, one of these requirements is not met, specifically: Living in Canada.

Here is the situation: My parents' permanent resident process is done with me as sponsor. They haven't landed in Canada but they have visas in their passports to go to Canada as PR status and are waiting for the right opportunity to move (probably next year).

At the same time, supposedly I got a job outside of Canada (in the US) and move out. Next years tax return, obviously I still declare taxes in Canada but with US income (using foreign tax credit cos I'd be living in the US)

Other than supporting them financially, do I need to be living in Canada for the undertaking? Is my living situation going to be an implication for my parents to get their PR when they land?

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I wouldn't move out of Canada until they've officially landed as PRs. Technically that would be grounds to cancel their PR visas/COPR, although at this stage odds are probably small this would actually happen.

Once they've landed, then you can live anywhere in the world. The undertaking basically just means you're responsible to pay back any social assistance/welfare they receive.

Reactions: f_canada